Thread: Connecting two networks

Connecting two networks

Hi,
    I want to connect my two networks, Network-A(192.168.1.x) and Network-B(192.168.2.x) using a single server machine.
    The server machine with two NICS is part of both networks, means i have pluged a wire from Network-A to one NIC of that machine and pluged second wire to second NIC from Network-B. For both networks i have defined that server as gateway also.
    But i dont know how packet arriving at one NIC would be forwarded to second NIC on the serve machine and reach its destination. Do i need to use iptables to perform this job or it can be done without it.
    I also have set a flat "net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1" in a config file named "/etc/sysctl.conf" which allows to forward a packet from one NIC to other.
    I would be very thankful for this help as I have been searching for this problem for a long time

If I am understanding you correctly, you want your computer to act as a router between 2 networks.
    If that is the case, you might want to look at these links:

http://www.freesco.org/

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5826

http://www.atomicfire.net/index.php?...=111&Itemid=35
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

yes u got my objective

yes my core aim is to send some data from one network to other, so definatly the middle machine would be working as router. but i dont want to implement on a large scale. as all the links u provided are to make a medium size network and they are readymade softwares. i just have 2 systems in each network n want to know the simplest way to do it.

Good Guru
    If all you need is connect two networks, Linux as a Bridge can be a solution for you. The features are built into kernel but you need admin utils to manage the job.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!