Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Can't log in locally, only option showing is XDMCP - Please help!

Thread: Can't log in locally, only option showing is XDMCP - Please help!

Question Can't log in locally, only option showing is XDMCP - Please help!

OK, I'm new to linux but I've used unix a while back. Oh, and how new can you really be when this is your third installation on the same machine???? (install, hard drive crash, etc etc etc!)

I'm using SuSE 10.1 and GNOME (well, trying to use GNOME, anyway)

So here's the problem: When I boot up and try and log in, it asks which host I want, because it's XDMCP enabled. I really don't want that, I want to just log into my machine locally. I even tried localhost, but that didn't work.

When I eventually log into root via the command line, I can't get into the configuration. I'm running GNOME and both gdm and gdmsetup tell me it can't open the display.

So I hope someone can help me with this....otherwise, it's install number 4 for me!!

I searched and asked around, but I can't seem to get anytwhere.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

For the record, SuSE and Gnome is kind of like cats and dogs. SuSE loves KDE, and hates Gnome. I've heard nothing but bad things about Gnome on SuSE. If you wish to use Gnome and you're new to Linux, may I suggest Ubuntu or Fedora. If you're willing to switch to KDE and stick with SuSE, I have a feeling it might work out better for you.

Anyway, with regards to your problem, is there a "Session" button on the screen when your computer starts up? If so, try selecting "Failsafe Gnome" if you can. That will at least let you run gdmsetup.

What happens when you kill your X server (as root, type "killall gdm-binary && killall Xorg") and restart it by typing "startx"? This might start up X windows so you can run gdmsetup.

Oh and here's another one to try. When it's asking you what host you want, hold down Ctrl + Alt + F1. You should be looking at a text login. Hit Ctrl + Alt + F7 to return to X. Go to the text login, and log in as root. Then, try the commands

"metacity --replace --display=:0 &"
    "gdmsetup --display=:0"

Return to your X session using Ctrl + Alt + F7. Can you see a gdmsetup window anywhere?
    Last edited by Tyr_7BE; 06-08-2006 at 04:11 AM.
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

Good Guru
    What display manager do you use, xdm or gdm?

What's the content of /etc/X11/default-display-manager file? If it's gdm, then go to /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and comment out xdmcp stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

getting closer...

I'm getting closer. I've done enough damage to cause the following screen to come up instead of the XDMCP newtork login:

No servers were defined in the configuration file and XDMCP was disabled.
    This can only be a configuraion error. GDM has started a single server for you. You should log in and fix the configuration.

The thing is, I can't find where to fix something. I think this occurs before it even get's to GNOME, but as I'm really new at this, I could be wrong. So at this point, I can log in locally, but I can't get timed or automatic logins working because of the above problem.

Tyr_7BE: If I change to KDE will I retain all my system installs (like mySQL, etc?) And I see in yast that I can add KDE but should I add the whole package? Seems like overkill, but I don't know.

Compunuts: I don't have a /etc/X11/default-display-manager file, and the gdm seems to be located at /etc/opt/gnome/gdm, and in it there doesn't seem to be any XDMCP enabled.

Thanks again for your continued help!!!!
    Dave The New Guy!

Good Guru
    DEs (Display Managers) have nothing to do with install packages such as Apache and MySQL. It only manage your GUI part of it.

Yeah, your SuSE may be different than my Debian so I'm not sure. In any case, do "whereis gdm.conf" and it should show you the place.

HTH ..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!