Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Brand new to LINUX - fixing a office network server with email and ftp.

Thread: Brand new to LINUX - fixing a office network server with email and ftp.

Hybrid View

Brand new to LINUX - fixing a office network server with email and ftp.

I got a job from a friend of a family fixing an office network.

When I saw their server was a linux command line OS, I felt pretty dumb. I thought most Linux was graphic, shows what I know, hahah.

Anyways I'm starting to learn Linux to fix their email and ftp program from a person I knew. But his gone so I have to figure out evreyone on my own now.

Basically I think its redhat, and he's using samba for the email and ftp program. He gave me this info to create accounts.
    -------------------------
    as root, do
    adduser username
    passwd username
    smbadduser username:windows_login_name
    where the username would usually be firstinitialLastname and
    windows_login_name is usually their first name
    smbpasswd [new password]

The samba config files end up in /etc/samba. Have to do
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart to restart the windows fileserving.
    --------------------------

So now I'm wondering is there a good internet guide for using samba (haven't found one yet)?

Is samba doing both the filesharing and email program?

They can log on to the email server with 192.168.0.8 in the POP3 and SMTP while on the network, but they are having problems with the servername.com server made to download off the internet. What could cause this and how can I fix it? Shoudln't they be able to have the servername.com in the POP3 and SMTP while on the network as well as the internet, and work for both?

And any other advice you guys could offer.

Thanks guys.

Good Guru
    Linux servers tend to be CLI only. No need for a gui to waste CPU and RAM time.

What I would do is head over to Red Hat and look over the documentation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.