Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Run Command from Icon in the Kicker

Thread: Run Command from Icon in the Kicker

Run Command from Icon in the Kicker

Hello, I just have a little question...
    I use a program (JAlbum) in which the installer doesn't work with my new Suse 10.1 system. I get errors for missing libraries (although running 'find / -name xxxx' shows me that they are in the /lib directory...). Anyways, I have the option of using a zip archive version of the program, and to run it, all I need to do is unpack it, then run 'java -jar JAlbum.jar' and the program works. Now, from the konsole, this method works fine. However, I was trying to add an icon to my kicker (which went well) but when I try to make that icon run 'java -jar /home/ron/JAlbum/JAlbum.jar' I get an error for a missing executable. So, I configured the icon to run in a terminal (since that is how I have to run it manually) but I still get an error saying "Konsole is unable to open a PTY. It is likely that this is due to an incorrect configuration of the PTY devices. Konsole needs to have read/write access to the PTY devices."
    Am I missing something here? If only that darned installer would work...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache

One thing you could do is to create a script that would execute what you want. Try putting the following in a file called "jalbum":

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    java -jar /home/ron/JAlbum/JAlbum.jar
    Now save that file, and make it executable by issuing "chmod +x jalbum" from the command line (or right-click the file in a GUI and change the permissions in the file properties).

Finally, move the file to /usr/bin. You will need access to the root account for this. Use "sudo mv jalbum /usr/bin" (or, if that doesn't work, "su" followed by "mv jalbum /usr/bin").

Now, whenever you type the command "jalbum" from the command line, it should do what you want. For the kicker, you can use an icon that launches /usr/bin/jalbum when clicked.
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

Geez, you would think that I, with SOME Linux experience, would have thought of this. My brain just isn't in it lately... Thanks for the tip!
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache

Good Guru
    Depending on GNOME or KDE, you have different names, but its missing the working directory. The shell script fixes that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.