Thread: kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Hybrid View

kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Hello,

When I start up my machine I get
    /bin/sh: ro: No such file or directory
    kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

The machine was running fine until last week. The only thing that changed was that I installed rrdtool and assorted packages. I'm running a dual boot RHEL 4 and Windows 2000. When I attempt to to do a restore it complains that it can't find my linux installation and takes me to shell prompt.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

hello,
    I would boot off a rescue CD and then mount the partition that will not boot, then of course i would check to see what is and is not there. you may need to fix grub. one thing you may wish to use is a CD based distro like knoppix.
    to mount it open a shell like xterm, gnome-terminal or konsole and the type mount -t ext3 /dev/<partition_of_redhat> where <partition_of_redhat> is some thing like hda2 or sda3...
    telnet mtrek.game-host.org 1701

thanks for the advice but I already re-installed before I read your message. the machine was unusuable for a couple of days so I had to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by pbharris View Post
    hello,
    I would boot off a rescue CD and then mount the partition that will not boot, then of course i would check to see what is and is not there. you may need to fix grub. one thing you may wish to use is a CD based distro like knoppix.
    to mount it open a shell like xterm, gnome-terminal or konsole and the type mount -t ext3 /dev/<partition_of_redhat> where <partition_of_redhat> is some thing like hda2 or sda3...
    I have exactly the same problem with rh_bomani.

I booted with linux rescue CD and red hat found the "/" and mounted it to /mnt/sysimage.

Then, I run "chroot /mnt/sysimage".

I tried to fix grub by running grub-install. It could not find grub-install. "locate grub-install" shows that is is located at /sbin/grub-install. However, it is not. ls -al /sbin/grub-install gives nothing. I am very much confused.

It would be great if you can help me in fixing the issue.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by maraba2322 View Post
    I have exactly the same problem with rh_bomani.

I booted with linux rescue CD and red hat found the "/" and mounted it to /mnt/sysimage.

Then, I run "chroot /mnt/sysimage".

I tried to fix grub by running grub-install. It could not find grub-install. "locate grub-install" shows that is is located at /sbin/grub-install. However, it is not. ls -al /sbin/grub-install gives nothing. I am very much confused.

It would be great if you can help me in fixing the issue.

Thanks,

Go the same way with rescue mode and correct the entries of /etc/grub.conf,/etc/inittab.

and if it does not find the grub u need to install it by typing /sbin/grub-install /dev/cdrom

Dear
    Ur /etc/fstab ,/etc/initab,/etc/grub.conf entries may b wrong .
    u need to correct the entry
    Thanks,
    Rakesh
    +919312795452(INDIA)