Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

use linux to connect to dialup internet
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: use linux to connect to dialup internet

Arrow use linux to connect to dialup internet

Hi, I have an older computer with windows 2000 on it, a new laptop with windows xp and wireless internet card, and a wireless router. Because I live in the country, any form of broadband is impossible. I want to be able to connect to the dialup isp wirelessly via the older pc. I was thinking because the pc with windows 2000 is older that I could load linux on it and use it to connect to the dialup internet and let my laptop running xp be able to use the internet through it wirelessly. Is it possible to let the pc I will load linux on to connect to the internet when I connect to it with the laptop and disconnect from the internet when I disconnect the laptop from the linux pc.
    Is there a better way to do this? Also, I know nothing about linux so please keep it simple. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

proxy server

I have looked around on the internet and have found that a proxy server might work. Does anyone know if this will work?? How would I get this set up? Thanks!!!!!

hello,
    sure - you need to enable port forwarding (also know as NAT - Network Address Translation) - there are plenty of tools to do this - the big fat how-to on this is here:
    http://tldp.net/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html
    i also like firestater -> http://www.fs-security.com/ for a simple gui tool
    telnet mtrek.game-host.org 1701

I did this last week. Set up the machine to do dial-up and port forwarding, then hook up the nic to a wireless switch or hub.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

I hate to be a pain but could you go into detail a little more? Thanks!! Also, how could I set the laptop to tell the linux machine when to connect and disconnect from the dialup network? Does anyone know of any software I could try?? Again thanks, you have already been very helpful.

Ok. As Paul said earlier, install firestarter. With it, you can set up port forwarding easily. (See this.
    Disable DHCP on the wireless switch, so that the linux machine assigns IP addresses.
    Then connect the laptop to the wireless switch, and use VNC to take over the linux machine remotely and activate the dial-up connection.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Ok, I think I can handle that. Is there any better way to make the linux pc connect to the dialup besides vnc?? Is there any software that would accomplish with just a few clicks from the laptop? I am going to have someone that is not very good at using the computer using the laptop and I dont want them to have to struggle to get on the internet. Also, a question for "trickster". You said you did this last week. Does it slow down the internet at all going over the wireless network?? Thanks!!!!!!

Hmm...I guess you could install cygwin on the XP laptop, and make a batch file that calls cygwin, ssh's into the linux machine and starts the dial-up connection from the command line. That way, the user would only need to click on the batch file and let it run on its own. However, I'm thinking this might be kind of complicated to set up originally.

The wireless network should not diminish the dial-up speed.
    At its best, your dial-up speed would be 53k/s. At its worst, the wireless connection speed would be 1-2mb/s, which is many many times faster. Basically, you have a way bigger pipe connecting you to the wireless network, than the one connecting you to the ISP. The wireless network wil not be the bottleneck there.
    Last edited by trickster; 05-27-2006 at 12:28 AM.

You are great!! Thanks for all the help!! Do you know of any website that explains how to set that up?? Thanks!!!

Not sure. I think you can skip cygwin, though. It might be easier to set up a bash script on your dial-up server, that dials-up to the internet from the command line. The way to do this would differ depending on the installation of linux you use and the program you use for dial-up.
    Then you can download Putty and Plink for your Windows laptop, and call plink with some switches from a batch file so that it connects to the linux server through ssh and calls up the bash file that dials up.

Here's some info on plink.