Thread: Webserver/network setup

Hybrid View

Webserver/network setup

So I've played around a bit with setting up a basic webserver, and I'm trying to figure out what the best solution for hosting sites would be, and exactly how to go about doing it.

coming from a starting point of having a machine that's ready to be formatted, and have a new distro put on; also having registered ~4 different domain names.

would it be best to host my own dns server? should i go with apache and virtual servers, or should i try to host virtual machines with xen? any other options?

i'd appreciate any advice

this is how my network is currently setup (the server to host the sites is in blue):

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU
    coming from a starting point of having a machine that's ready to be formatted, and have a new distro put on; also having registered ~4 different domain names.

would it be best to host my own dns server?
    If you are going to put BIND and Apache on one box?? NEVER DO IT.

It's okay if you are just a hobby sites and stuff but with the history of BIND being the crack hole of all and stuff, it's never a good idea to put DNS with any other server software especially with web server since the whole world is going to see it if ever get cracked.

should i go with apache and virtual servers, or should i try to host virtual machines with xen? any other options?
    Yeah, if you have an IBM Z9 or 390, go for VM stuff. Or HP prolient or something similar or SunUltra 10K. Anything less than that, such as a quad-Xeon P IV will crawl under VM setting especially if you are going to run 4 different VM at ALL TIMES.
    Plus VM is over kill for what you need. All you need is 4 different web sites, Virtual hosting option with Apache is more than enough. I used to have P 233, 512 MB RAM box running Apache and database based Blog and it runs fine.

Since machines these days are cheap enough, I have Athlon 64 3200, 1 GB of RAM, and I load this baby with all kinds of stuff and it has yet to disappoint me. Currently it's SAMBA sever, web server, mail server and MySQL doing 6 blogging sites. No hipcups whatsoever.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!