Thread: monitor screen has X on it

monitor screen has X on it

I am new to Linix and for the past 2 days I have been trying to install SUSE 10 and 10.1. The problem I am having is that after it is installed and configured the system reboots and the screen comes up with a fuzzy picture (almost like snow on your TV) and an X right in the middle. I believe there is two possible reasons for this but I don't know for sure, the first is I was installing the 32bit version on a 64bit machine (had no idea my computer was 64bit), and the other is that I don't have the either proper or updated drivers installed for my video card, which is a ATI Radeon XPress 200 Series. If it's the drivers I have no idea on how to install them as well so if I could get some help there as well. If someone can help me I'd greatly appreciate it, below is my system info:

Compaq Presario SR2006NX
    Intel Celeron D Processor 356, 3.33GHz
    Bus Speed 533MHz
    RAM 512
    80G HD IDE Ultra ATA/DMA
    Radeon Xpress 200 IGP on Motherboard 256MB Shared Video RAM

I hope this is enough info, if not let me know and I'll post more

Sounds like it's starting X like it should, but without a desktop environment. You will see this any time you start the GUI, so seeing this is good. Does right-clicking do anything at all? You might be in the default X environment, which is pretty much nothing at all. It's been a long time since I used SuSE, but it could be that you are also running it as root, and it's not set to load something like KDE or GNOME for root. If you can get to a terminal in that X session (if right-click gives you a menu), you can try to run Yast from it. I can't remember the command, but type 'yast' in the terminal 9don't type the quotes), and press "tab" to autocomplete it (it should give you a list of commands that start with "yast"). From there, you can setup X, your environment, whatever packages you want, etc.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness