Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irc

Irc

I found OpenFree because I went to the old GetLinuxOnline site to see if it was back up or not. It had a rocky past, and apparently was one of the ones merged with this site, because it had a page indicating everyone's accounts were moved here. My account seems not to work, so I created a new one (prefer this ID over my old one, anyway.) GLO use to have an IRC channel on a server I ran. I'd like to offer the same option for OpenFree. My IRC server is on a bigger IRC net than it use to be, so I'll give the two addresses to get connected:

irc.noixirc.net is the round-robin address.
    sentinels.noixirc.net is my server on the net (but isn't in round robin... they haven't figured out how to add me to it yet, since my server isn't on the main hub, but is a leaf off of another server on the same net.)

If you want to connect with SSL, you'll have to either connect to sentinels.noixirc.net at port 6697 or to xanced.noixirc.net at port 6601.

If this is okay with everyone, I'll provide the means for connecting via pjIRC and a PHP wrapper I wrote for it for the moderator of OpenFree to include it as a web based client link.

thank you for providing SSL access - much appricated.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

My blog

Good Guru
    thanks dude, much appreciated!

TigerDragon, I'm interested in setting something up like this. Please send me the details, maybe via PM.

On a note my IRC client complains about your SSL cert. apparently it's invalid.

My blog

You will need to tell your client to accept invalid certs. The validity of the cert does not reduce the security of the encryption. A "valid" cert is simply one where you've paid a cert provider to "verify" the cert, and most people who run small services like this don't pay. There's no reason to. The encryption works whether someone has said "this is bonafide" or not.

Good Guru
    Pay verisign ... there are better ways to waste money. Strip bars are my favorite -- yes the money vaporizes out of your pocket, but at least you can get tanked and flashed.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerDragon
    You will need to tell your client to accept invalid certs. The validity of the cert does not reduce the security of the encryption. A "valid" cert is simply one where you've paid a cert provider to "verify" the cert, and most people who run small services like this don't pay. There's no reason to. The encryption works whether someone has said "this is bonafide" or not.
    I thought SSL supported a kind of web of trust, meaning anyone with a GPG key could verify that you are indeed who you say you are. Paying Verisign is merely a way of paying for a high ranging key to be added to your trust bank.. right?

If that is the case, going to a few conventions and attending the keysigning BoFs would fix the issue on the cheap and in a community fasion.. right?

My blog

Pay verisign ... there are better ways to waste money. Strip bars are my favorite -- yes the money vaporizes out of your pocket, but at least you can get tanked and flashed.
    How about golf and premium ales?
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel_Killer
    How about golf and premium ales?
    With strippers and hookers?

Mmmmmkay. Works for me!