Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

How to make an Automatic appointment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make an Automatic appointment

How to make an Automatic appointment

I tried to set the daily/weekly and monthly appointment using the SUSE Linux in vi editor in home directory, but still it doesn't work.
    What am I supposed to do.
    Thank you

Hi,

You need to be more specific. SuSE is an operating system, so it does not have anything to do with calendars or appointments. vi is a text editor, so the same holds true for it. What are you trying to accomplish, and what is the error you are getting?
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Set Automatic appointment

I need assistance
    Last edited by Jesca Hagaze; 05-08-2006 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesca Hagaze
    I need assistance
    By "appointment" do you mean "cron" ?

We need more details. Are you trying to schedule a program to run on a periodic basis? If you are trying to do that, you need to use "crontab -e" as the user you want to schedule processes for, or you need to edit a script in the cron.hourly, cron.daily, cron.weekly, and cron.monthly for some root user jobs (depending on what distribution of linux you're using, and I'm not familiar enough with SuSE to say.)

Jesca had posted more information, but then deleted it and replaced it with "I need assistance", which is not really very helpful...

Anyway, from what I remember, he/she made some scripts and crontab'd them; however, he/she was getting some errors when the scripts ran.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Based on the lack of information given, I would have to say it is probably a script that needs a profile sourced, or something similar.

Please provide detailed information:
    The script being run.
    The crontab entry.
    What the error is.
    The location of the script.

If you give us detailed information, we can give you better help.

Automatic appintment

Quote Originally Posted by Jesca Hagaze
    I tried to set the daily/weekly and monthly appointment using the SUSE Linux in vi editor in home directory, but still it doesn't work.
    What am I supposed to do.
    Thank you
    Below is my script
    # daily/weekly/monthly reminders

08:15 mtwrf * Good Morning!
    12:00 mtwrf * Lunch Time!
    17:00 mtwrf * Go Home
    23:00 mtwrf * Still Here? Go to bed
    08:10 twrf * Did you do your time card yesterday?
    SUN 09:00 Review this week reports
    01 09:00 Review this month activities

The error message is that, such files or directories are not found. I use the home directory. No calendar file is shown using ls command but using the cal command it displays the current calendar. Should I put each file separately i.e daily,weekly and monthly. Thank you for your help
    God bless you all

Cal is used to display a calendar, not for making appointments (unless you have an improved version of cal) I'm not familiar with SuSE but this sounds like a SuSE specific program you are trying to use maybe?

If this isn't the case, I can provide you with some scripts you could use, and the crontab entries you would need, to make what you're trying to do work (assuming you are logged in at the time.)

Advisor
    I'm just making advanced guesses here.. But if your mtwrf is for (m)onday, (t)uesday, (w)ednesday, (r?)thursday, (f)riday, then a valuable cron file would look like:
    Code:
    15  8  * * 1-5 xmessage -center -timeout 10 "Good Morning!"
    0  12  * * 1-5 xmessage -center -timeout 10 "Lunch time!"
    0  17  * * 1-5 xmessage -center -timeout 10 "Go Home!"
    0  23  * * 1-5 xmessage -center -timeout 10 "Still Here? Go to bed"
    10  8  * * 2-5 xmessage -center -timeout 10 "Did you do your time card yesterday?"
    0   9  * * sun xmessage -center -timeout 10 "Review this week reports"
    0   9  1 * *   xmessage -center -timeout 10 "Review this month activities"
    Please note the xmessage, will disappear after 10 seconds, so it will only display untill you either click "OK" to it, or 10 seconds pass without any activity from your part.
    Please see the Crontab PET for explanations to the given fields for every command
    Last edited by redhead; 05-09-2006 at 07:26 PM.
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

Automatic appointment

Quote Originally Posted by redhead
    I'm just making advanced guesses here.. But if your mtwrf is for (m)onday, (t)uesday, (w)ednesday, (r?)thursday, (f)riday, then a valuable cron file would look like:
    Code:
    15  8  * * 1-5 xmessage -center -timeout 10 "Good Morning!"
    0  12  * * 1-5 xmessage -center -timeout 10 "Lunch time!"
    0  17  * * 1-5 xmessage -center -timeout 10 "Go Home!"
    0  23  * * 1-5 xmessage -center -timeout 10 "Still Here? Go to bed"
    10  8  * * 2-5 xmessage -center -timeout 10 "Did you do your time card yesterday?"
    0   9  * * sun xmessage -center -timeout 10 "Review this week reports"
    0   9  1 * *   xmessage -center -timeout 10 "Review this month activities"
    Please note the xmessage, will disappear after 10 seconds, so it will only display untill you either click "OK" to it, or 10 seconds pass without any activity from your part.
    Please see the Crontab PET for explanations to the given fields for every command

I typed this command to the root directory using a vi editor by creating a new file called calendar

15 8 * * 1-5 xmessage -center -timeout 10"Good Morning!"
    0 12 * * 1-5 xmessage -center -timeout 10"Lunch time!"
    0 17 * * 1-5 xmessage -center -timeout 10"Go Home"
    0 23 * * 1-5 xmessage -center -tomeout 10"Still Here? Go to bed"
    10 8 * * 2-5 xmessage -center -timeout 10"Did you do your time card yesterday?"
    0 9 * * sun xmessage -center -timeout 10"Review this week reports"
    0 9 1 * * xmessage -center -timeout 10"Review this month activities"

I got these error messages

calendar: line 1: 15: command not found
    calendar: line 2: 0: command not found
    calendar: line 3: 0: command not found
    calendar: line 4: 0: command not found
    calendar: line 5: 10: command not found
    calendar: line 6: 0: command not found
    calendar: line 7: 0: command not found