Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Print from Linux to Linux Debian 3.1

Thread: Print from Linux to Linux Debian 3.1

Hybrid View

Print from Linux to Linux Debian 3.1

Hi everybody:

I need your help on networked printers. Here is the situation:

I need to setup 8 linux Debian 3.1 PCs for a classroom. I want to share the Brother HL1240 printer in order to print from Linux to Linux.
    The printer is working ok locally; the PCs are able to connect to the internet.
    I read the howto-print / CUPS. I can still not able to print from Linux to Linux; from Windows to Linux is ok. Which steps do I need to achieve this task?

thank you for your help.

Good Guru
    Do this in your browser (this doesn't work on Ubuntu unless you enabled it)

Code:
    http://localhost:631
    This should bring you cups's web based configuration page. You can set it up there to use direct cups to cups printing.

Or try to find where is your cups-client is installed and invoke from there. I'm not on my Debian box right now (I screwed it up big time) so I can't tell you where exactly that GUI based printer config program is. But look around on Preferences area (and this will also depends largely on which DE you use such as Gnome, IceWM or KDE)

HTH ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Hi Compunuts:

Happy to talk to you again. Your help was great last time.

I use to http://localhost:631 to manage the printer server: here what i see:

Description:
    Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.
    "Network host '192.168.0.81' is busy; will retyr in 30 sec."
    device URl: socket://192.168.0.81:9100:q

and on the job Q, i see a bunch of jobs pending processing?
    can you give an example of config files from the server and from linux client?

what do i miss?

thank

Good Guru
    Try to clear your old print jobs. If any one of these things stucks, cups won't go further. If you need print job monitoring tool, install cupsys-pt (via apt-get ofcourse).

Also make certain that you have correct driver and ppd file. Look in /etc/cups/ppd/ dir.

Sorry I currently do not have any sample config file. Like I said above, I screwed up my Debian server pretty bad and need to re-install (well it was about time anyway since my / and /var are approaching 100% ). So I converted my Ubuntu box as server and disconnect all the stuff and re-installed Ubuntu from clean state.

Also, another suggestion would be to install foomatic printer filtering system from linuxprinting.org . The GUI is called fomatic-gui via apt-get .

HTH ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Hi Compunuts:

Thank you for the reply. I do really appreciate.

here is what i did: I cleared out all printing jobs in the Q. I check the ppd file is correct and i have footmatic-gui install.

On the server side:

server's name : t21-ibm
    printer Q: hl1240
    ip address: 192.168.0.81

On the client side: I added the network printer via the footmatic-gui, the driver is HL1240( as recommended by the system) and on the configuration I chose the LPD queue and entered:

printer server (host): t21-ibm
    queue : hl1240

the printer is seen by the system as follow: lpd://t21-ibm/hl1240

The interedting thing is that when i clicked on the "print a test page" button, a print job has been submitted, the job is processed and the printer is reacting to the print test( blinked once ) but did not print.

Also, on the server side, using the http://localhost:631, the Q said the job was completed.

Where is the trick?

thanks.

Talking Neeeed A Greaat Helppppp

Hello There:

Please help. I cannot print from a linux client to a Linux server printer.

Thanks.