Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Could use some input
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could use some input

Associate

Cool Could use some input

Ok, here's what I'm doing, wanting to do, and am going to try to do...

Obviously I am here for good reason, the main reason is to learn as much as I can about Linux and the different Distro's, and reading as much as I can on Unix and CLI, for the obvious reasons of ease of use ( shortest distance between two points kinda thing), more secure than GUI, and flat out a cool way to run a system!

Now, with all that being said, here is my situation, ( a familiar one as I've seen from searching the forum), like I've said in my first posts in the welcome/introduction area, I am a forum admin/owner myself, running Vb 3.5.whatver is out now.0. We (my co-owner) have just recently purchased a dedicated server, growing pains if you will, been around 3 years now and our site is no longer "shared" friendly. The server we have gotten comes wtih Red Hat installed, I am unsure of whether or not it is the latest version, but I will check as soon as I can get tech support from SBC/at&t to change my password for me (argghh, gotta love these "re"-mergers) and I will be able to see my emails...

Now I suppose I could cut to the chase and forgo the pain of reading my history, since I am new to Linux and even newer to CLI, this is what I would like to do.

I would like to activiate the GUI on the server so I may go through the initial set up process for Apache, and so on. I am aware of the vulnerabilites this can cause not to mention it will be taking away from my site with the processor for the graphics, I will be turning this back off, or disabling this interface once I have things set the way we need to have them set, as this is an unmanaged server.

Simpy put, and I could have just asked this, yet I prefer when I ask for help that those that provide it have as much info as possible so they know what is being asked. What CL syntax or command should I use or where could I find this to better aid me in my quest?

Simple yes, drawn out and prolly way TMI, at least I'm honest!!

Thank you ALL in advance good people!!

Spooks

Hi,

If I understand this correctly, you want to have remote access to the gui (XWindows session) of your remote server.
    If you have access to ssh on the server, you can forward VNC through it so it is encrypted.

link
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Associate
    Partly correct, I do want to have access to the GUI on this server, yet as it stands right now ( I am assuming here) that the GUI has not been installed as of yet.

I use VNC quite often at work, actually just installed UltaVNC which I like better than TightVNC, but that's something altogether different.

Being this is a new server, just being layed on a rack with fresh installs of everything, my assumption has been that it will be CLI, that is where my problem lies.

I am right now, reading everything I can get my hands on about using CLI, yet I am far from knowing what I need to know to make things work, hence the reasoning for my posting of this thread.

I guess I should just say, I need assistance in getting the GUI to come up from the command line and how do I do that?

Thanks!!

To my understanding, Red Hat installs XWindows and Gnome by default. If you have physical access to the server, the command
    Code:
    init 5
    ] should start up the X Windows system.
    However, if you are accessing the system remotely, you won't get a gui this way. You need to do it by vnc or some other thing.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Associate
    Thanks for the help, once I gain access, I'll see what works best and report back!!

If you don't have physical access to the box, don't do the init 5.

If you are remote, I suggest you do this:

If you are using Windows to connect to the box:
    Make sure you have an X Server running. We use Exceed at work, but there are some you can get for free (including the one that comes with Cygwin) and if you need a link to a free one, I can help in that regard.
    Make sure you have an ssh client. PuTTY or (again) Cygwin are good for this.
    Use ssh to connect to the box and make sure you have X tunneling turned on.
    Check your DISPLAY variable after you connect (echo $DISPLAY) and make sure it is set properly.
    If you need to switch users to another user, don't forget to merge your ~/.Xauthority file with the user you switched to, so X will tunnel properly. The command would be: "mkxauth -m ~user/.Xauthority" where "user" is your username, not the username you switched to. You run this AFTER you switch users. You should be able to run any X related commands (xeyes, xclock, etc) without issue. At that point you'll need to run whatever GUI tool you're wanting to run (not a RH fan, so this would be a redhat specific tool I'm not familiar with.)

If you are using another *nix box to connect to your box:
    Use startx to get a local X session going (or login with the XDM/KDM/GDM login if you are running any of those.)
    Open a terminal and use ssh to connect to the box (make sure you enable X11 tunneling with the -X option) You might also want to use compression:
    ssh -X -C user@server
    Check your DISPLAY and proceed as in the connecting from Windows section.

Associate

Talking

Excellent!!

I do have a Linux box I am on now, so I will try both of these, mainly because the guy I'm partners with is only using XP (poor guy, I'm still workin on gettin him on Linux, won't be long now!) that way he can connect as well!

I have just gained my access to the server and using PuTTy I can connect, I will tweak my putty settings and give this a go!!

Will report back any successes and failures (oh, I hope not)...

Thanks again!!!

Spooks

Good Guru
    IF you are on Windows box and need a secure and GUI way of transferring files, WinSCP is great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Associate

Thumbs up

I wanted to report back, with the links provided here, a little more reading, I have found that with a little want to do and persistance, the command line not near as fearsome as some may think!!

Things are going very well, as I've been able to do most of what I needed to do, with the exception of interfacing the GUI with a VNC app, didn't need to!

Only thing left for my server is to get a little better at Mysql commands, other than that, this is a GREAT resource and knowledge base for the noob!!

Thanks for all those that replied!!

Just to elaborate some of thes commands for you. The 'init' command sets the system in a runlevel that enables certain services on your system. Most systems will have 3 set for minimal services, allowing networking, and some basic services. Runlevel 5 on the other hand is usually where most systems end up booting to. This runlevel is known for starting all the services that you have allowed the system to use. Some distributions put the Login Manager in this runlevel, making it to where you are presented with graphical login screen after your system is finished booting. This is not true for all distributions and installs (i.e. Ubuntu Server & Debian). You can look at your runlevels in /etc/inittab.

Xauthority is the file that the user uses to let the X server (GUI server) know what display goes to what user. Mkxauth, of course is used to administer this file, and startx is used to start the X server. Just thought I'd clarify all of that.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.