Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19
work stations slow on network
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: work stations slow on network

  1. #1

    work stations slow on network

    Total layman with a serious network problem. Cabinet maker with server with Linux OS running Samba in a domain network environment. (5) workstations and (1) networked Gestetner printer, copier, scanner, fax combo. Os's on the work stations are varied: (1) pc on Windows 98, (2) pcs on XP home, (2) pcs on XP pro. One pc with XP Pro is a controller opertating a CNC computerized machine on the shop floor.
    A really good IT guy is doing a great favor by hooking us up with a used server and linux OS to save us big time money. Server is this big heavy thing with 4 processors and 4 hard drives we got off e-bay.

    The problem is that the work stations run like dinosaurs when connected to the network. To run my major cabinet software I have to unplug from the network to get it to run at normal speed. All appliacations are client resident(if that is the correct term) and not running from the server. Even if I don't use anything off the server, just being physically attached to network drags each pc down. The IT says that the problem is probably the XP home pcs dragging down the network and that they are not designed to run within a domain. Something about Samba will not accept the "token" form the XP home pcs. The suggestion is to buy XP Pro for the two XP home pcs. Is this the best action to take. The IT is coming in a week to fix the system and I want to make sure he has everything he needs. Also I don't want to spend money I don't need to and the headache of removing and reinstalling a pc's OS if I don't have to. Are we giving the IT ingredients for disaster by having XP home. He came to the shop assumong all pcs had XP Pro, but we slipped him a Micky I guess. He networked the whole shop in one day, incuding running wire. His abilities are amazing (He has networked businesses up to 1200 work stations-no slouch). I just don't want to make things harder for him to get the thing running, like writing millions of patches to get our garbage components to work. What is the easiest route to take? Has anyone run a network lilke this with similar ingredients? Thanks for the help,
    David

  2. #2
    Mentor cga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    1,433
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsbc
    Total layman with a serious network problem. Cabinet maker with server with Linux OS running Samba in a domain network environment. (5) workstations and (1) networked Gestetner printer, copier, scanner, fax combo. Os's on the work stations are varied: (1) pc on Windows 98, (2) pcs on XP home, (2) pcs on XP pro. One pc with XP Pro is a controller opertating a CNC computerized machine on the shop floor.
    A really good IT guy is doing a great favor by hooking us up with a used server and linux OS to save us big time money. Server is this big heavy thing with 4 processors and 4 hard drives we got off e-bay.

    The problem is that the work stations run like dinosaurs when connected to the network. To run my major cabinet software I have to unplug from the network to get it to run at normal speed. All appliacations are client resident(if that is the correct term) and not running from the server. Even if I don't use anything off the server, just being physically attached to network drags each pc down. The IT says that the problem is probably the XP home pcs dragging down the network and that they are not designed to run within a domain. Something about Samba will not accept the "token" form the XP home pcs. The suggestion is to buy XP Pro for the two XP home pcs. Is this the best action to take. The IT is coming in a week to fix the system and I want to make sure he has everything he needs. Also I don't want to spend money I don't need to and the headache of removing and reinstalling a pc's OS if I don't have to. Are we giving the IT ingredients for disaster by having XP home. He came to the shop assumong all pcs had XP Pro, but we slipped him a Micky I guess. He networked the whole shop in one day, incuding running wire. His abilities are amazing (He has networked businesses up to 1200 work stations-no slouch). I just don't want to make things harder for him to get the thing running, like writing millions of patches to get our garbage components to work. What is the easiest route to take? Has anyone run a network lilke this with similar ingredients? Thanks for the help,
    David

    XP Home can not join a domain at all. Home Edition supports peer-to-peer (workgroup) networking only. Your IT guy is right. Also, if I may ask, why do you want a server for such a small network? Why not just use a basic peer-to-peer network to share resources?
    TANSTAAFL

  3. #3

    slow network

    We were networked peer to peer, but I was told that this was not a "real" network, and would not be as secure as a network supported by a server. So, we did the server thing, and now we cannot really use it at all. What is the best action to take at this point. I would prefer to keep the server and get it to run properly. Thanks

    David

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Good Guru
    Compunuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,935
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsbc
    We were networked peer to peer, but I was told that this was not a "real" network, and would not be as secure as a network supported by a server.
    That's only true when you have many clients with many people accessing your network. Also if you run peer-to-peer, then you risk exposing your network if it's connected to the Internet. As far as I've read from your posts, your network seems to be isolated and clients access are very limited ( a cabinet handyman hacking your network?? Not very likely ) but having as much security as possible is a very positive "piece of mind" thing.

    What is the best action to take at this point. I would prefer to keep the server and get it to run properly.
    CGA (and your "IT guy") was right. XP Home make a lousy network client if more than 2 PCs. I'd just upgrade your network to ALL XP pro since you will only need to buy one more copy for the one running 98 in addition to upgrading your XPHome PCs (unless upgrading would make it almost impossible such as PC's low hardware specs). Your ROI (Return On Investment) would be likely much higher if you do that. By also running only one OS, you will be able to eliminate many protocols that are not necessary such as NetBUEI. Just run a pure TCP/IP network, many be configure your network server to act as router and you should be good.

    I'd tend to agree with your "IT guy". I know it is easier to said than done when you have to shell out more than 5K for lousy XPs but then again, you will have much more eaiser time managing your network in the long run.

    HTH ....

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

    No IT BS !!

  5. #5
    You should be able to run the Task Manager under Windows XP and see what process is consuming the pc's resources when connected to the network. That can help you start troubleshooring the issue.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

  6. #6
    Mentor cga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    1,433
    snip...

    Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts
    Also if you run peer-to-peer, then you risk exposing your network if it's connected to the Internet.
    Not really. You just have to keep everything behind a perimeter firewall and follow best security practices. I have a network here in my lab with around 16 machines in a wireless peer-to-peer setup behind a firewall with no problems.
    TANSTAAFL

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Good Guru
    Schotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    5,760
    This may be a bad ethernet cable as well. I have seen this happen when a pc needs to ask for retransmits due to errors.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Similar Threads

  1. Gigabit network slow samba, ftp, iperf?
    By shwick in forum Linux - Hardware, Networking & Security
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-14-2008, 04:36 AM
  2. Very Slow XP
    By shyampc in forum Windows - General Topics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-25-2007, 05:31 AM
  3. How do view network stations?
    By titanas in forum Linux - General Topics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-19-2006, 08:14 AM
  4. Internet radio stations
    By Compunuts in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-13-2005, 11:20 AM
  5. KDE 3 slow
    By TeRG in forum Linux - Software, Applications & Programming
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-18-2002, 03:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •