Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

1st time Newbie to Linux

Thread: 1st time Newbie to Linux

Red face 1st time Newbie to Linux

I'm interested in building a home network so I can start learning some linux. I've never had any exposure to linux before; any suggestions in terms of where to buy linux based desktops etc.?

Would it better to try and build my own? Not sure where to start.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by red_99
    I'm interested in building a home network so I can start learning some linux. I've never had any exposure to linux before; any suggestions in terms of where to buy linux based desktops etc.?

Would it better to try and build my own? Not sure where to start.

Thanks.
    Do you mean the hardware? If so, you can use just about any PC to install Linux on. Just check the hardware compatibility list and be sure the components will work. Of course, it is fun to build you own box as well.

As to the software side, you can download a free Linux distro -- I highly recommend CentOS if you are interested in learning the server and networking side of things. Ubuntu or Fedora are good choices for a desktop system.

...and welcome aboard.
    TANSTAAFL

Talking

Both Hardware and software. This gives me a starting point. Thanks.

Good Guru
    Depending on where you live .....

Dell sell them. My local Micro Center not only sell desktop PCs with Linux, they even have Linux PCs on display. They guys there are familiar with Linux although they can't answer all the questions customers are asking (well, to be fair, they can't answer all Windows questions either) so I help them out if I"m around shopping for my stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Talking Linux NetWorking

Hi ,
    Check out HERE.
    Last edited by omidkamangar; 05-02-2006 at 12:26 PM.

Associate
    I too am a bit of a Linux noob, that said, I am using CentOS at home for some server and networking testing. It has a great GUI for new comers like myself, and being I am wanting to work on webserving and ftp stuff, it's a great Os to learn on!!

Also, do a search for Knoppix, it's a Live CD that you can boot up on to try out some Linux features, it has a lot of bells and whistles on this, more than some Distro's, and it will read most if not all of your h/w from boot!

you aren't forced to know CLI or command Line Interface, but this will give you a chance to learn it, matter fact, I just picked up Learning Unix today, an O'Reilly book, not Tom Clancy on the read, but great info to learn this!!

Good Guru
    If you are just trying to learn the rope, stick to well known and supported distros like Fedora Core or Ubuntu . Chances are that when you have problem, you are likely to find the person who has the same setup as you do.

Once you get familiar with it, you can always get another distro and try it out. There are zillions of distros out there you can try plus other OSSes like BSDs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!