Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

OpenOffice Calc is garbage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenOffice Calc is garbage

OpenOffice Calc is garbage

You know, over the course of the past few months, I have been using OpenOffice and have seen many things that just BOTHER me to death. The latest incident might seem minor, but I Googled the hell out of it, without finding a conclusive answer...
    I have a Calc worksheet that is really basic. The sheets are wide, so you have to use the scroll bar to get to the far right side (unless you utilize the freeze... that's another matter...). Anyways, I wanted to cut or copy a bunch of rows, not sequential, to another sheet. So, I selected my rows, then right-clicked. Copy or cut is not even an option. I can only resize, delete, or something else that has NOTHING to do with what I need to do. I again select my rows, then go up to the menus at the top of the screen. Cut and copy are grayed out. WTF?? The only way I can copy or cut a row, is to do it one row at a time. Then, the 'copy' or 'cut' options are available to me. So, now I have to select each row, out of 40 or 50, and copy or cut it manually?? Now, if the rows you want to cut or copy are sequential, no problem. It works. But try skipping a row. No workie. Garbage...
    Another gripe, concerning the window 'freeze'. It just doesn't make logical sense. Let's say you have a sheet with 3 wide columns: A, B, and C. If I want to lock column A in place, the only way to get it to work is if I select column B and enable window freeze?!? WTF??
    Do I have a faulty version of OOo or what? I sure am missing MS Office right about now...
    Last edited by vwgtiturbo; 04-20-2006 at 07:07 PM.
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache

Good Guru
    I am unsure what you mean. I have done this many times without issue. I just tried in fact and could cut multiple columns. No problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by vwgtiturbo
    I have been using OpenOffice and have seen many things that just BOTHER me to death.
    Welcome to the club. CGA (IIRC) knows it all too well.

Anyways, I wanted to cut or copy a bunch of rows, not sequential, to another sheet. So, I selected my rows, then right-clicked. Copy or cut is not even an option. I can only resize, delete, or something else that has NOTHING to do with what I need to do. I again select my rows, then go up to the menus at the top of the screen. Cut and copy are grayed out. WTF?? The only way I can copy or cut a row, is to do it one row at a time. Then, the 'copy' or 'cut' options are available to me.
    Yeah, you will have to do it one by one.

So, now I have to select each row, out of 40 or 50, and copy or cut it manually?? Now, if the rows you want to cut or copy are sequential, no problem. It works. But try skipping a row. No workie. Garbage...
    Yeap. At least in Office, it will carry over the data but you loose your formatting. No worries though since you still have your data. This is a major area where OO.O needed to improve. You might like to try StarOffice which has a lot of patent-protected functions.

Another gripe, concerning the window 'freeze'. It just doesn't make logical sense. Let's say you have a sheet with 3 wide columns: A, B, and C. If I want to lock column A in place, the only way to get it to work is if I select column B and enable window freeze?!? WTF??
    Actually, that's how it work. Even in Office (okay, I admit, I'm still using Office2K Premium), that's how it work. You define your freeze pane and lock it down. It will calculate your position and lock it down left/above. For example, if you selected B1, then it will lock down all of Column A. If you select C8, then it will freeze Row 7 and Column B effectively making any rows and columns before C8.

I sure am missing MS Office right about now...
    Understood. You'll live though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Quote Originally Posted by Schotty
    I am unsure what you mean. I have done this many times without issue. I just tried in fact and could cut multiple columns. No problems.

Yup. I too just tried it. And it works. Unless I am completely misunderstood abouit your problem, I am not sure as to why its not working. Maybe something that Ubuntu does by default in the preferences or something? Because I am unable to confirm that behavior.
    Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind.
    --Albert Einstein
    #350566 Registered Slackware Linux User.

Oh, okay... I admit... The freeze pane thing works as it should. My wife so lovingly called me a dumba$$ and explained that it is working just fine. Duh... Anyways, I haven't tried to cut or copy columns, I only tried to do rows. Weird...

Anyways, I just tried this again, and it still doesn't work, with rows or columns. Now, if you do consecutive rows or columns, it is fine (i.e. a,b,c,d, etc...) but if you try to do inconsecutive (?) rows or columns (i.e. a,d,f,i, etc...) it doesn't work, at least for me. Oh well, I guess that is just something that I will have to work around. One thing my wife told me to do was just copy all of the rows or columns to the new sheet, then select the ones I want to delete (since, even if you select multiple inconsecutive columns or rows, 'delete' is still one of the options...). Why didn't I think of that. Man, I must just be brain dead today....
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by shebang
    Yup. I too just tried it. And it works. Unless I am completely misunderstood abouit your problem, I am not sure as to why its not working.
    Okay, do us a favor you both ...

Make completely new workbook. Create data in cells at the first sheet. Now, try to select multiple cells ( cell A1, A5, C2 and C4 ), right click (or via Edit menu) and see if you can copy and past it in "sheet2"; anywhere.

Maybe something that Ubuntu does by default in the preferences or something? Because I am unable to confirm that behavior.
    I don't think it's distro specific but rather version specific. May be we both using the same flaky version of OO.O and not you guys.

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by vwgtiturbo
    My wife so lovingly called me a dumba$$ and explained that it is working just fine.
    ha ha ha ha .....

One thing my wife told me to do was just copy all of the rows or columns to the new sheet, then select the ones I want to delete (since, even if you select multiple inconsecutive columns or rows, 'delete' is still one of the options...). Why didn't I think of that. Man, I must just be brain dead today....
    Now, there is a keeper wife.

No IT BS !!

Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts
    Make completely new workbook. Create data in cells at the first sheet. Now, try to select multiple cells ( cell A1, A5, C2 and C4 ), right click (or via Edit menu) and see if you can copy and past it in "sheet2"; anywhere.
    Just to clarify... This odd behavior takes place when you select multiple COMPLETE columns or rows, NOT multiple individual cells.
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Good Guru
    Out of curiousity do other Linux office apps work correctly here? Perhaps Gnumeric or KCalc (or whatever the KDE version would be) may work better for that type of thing.

Lastly (not necessarily the worst choice) is to try Crossover Office and just run MS Office thru that. It can run Office 2000 just fine (I do it for the oddball compaibility issue myslef).

With KSpread, I can't even select multiple rows or columns. Only one at a time, much LESS, select multiple and have the option of cutting or copying...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL