Thread: Windows is bad for your internet connection

Windows is bad for your internet connection

I had a small Windows partition to play some games more easily and to do school stuff. Today I had to remove it.

16:30: Returned home and thought "Cygwin looks like a fun idea, lets check it out"
    16:35: Computer booted into win 2000, looked up cygwin
    17:00: Cool, cygwin works... I went away to play the piano
    18:15: Went to some site to check out cygwin information, and instead of the site I expected I got big red letters saying that I was put into quarantine because of a worm. I quickly booted SysRescCD because I was not able to install qtparted - my connection was suspended.
    18:30: Under linux I filled in a form saying I cleaned my computer
    18:40: Back on the line

Phew, happy it ended happily I'm not installing windows anymore..
    Eat your l33t skillz!
    My home page: http://www.inter.nl.net/users/alexeif/

Good Guru
    WOW .. ISPs really do that?? I mean suspend you for carrying a worm?

Last time we had worm outbreak, they are scanning for systems and then calling them home telling them their system are infected but I guess most of them are clueless anyway... I never got a call although I was sort of hoping to get some for the kicks of it.

Debian
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    Actually I am suprised to hear that they would suspend you, and impressed. The world needs to take care of the issue rather than passing the buck. Its reassuring that the ISP doesnt want to be involved in the spreading of any malware or virii.

Who is your ISP?

I've never been infected with a worm in windows without having to execute something by double-clicking. Then again, I've never used windows outside of a corporate network, which I suppose would filter out a good deal of unwanted traffic.

The problem with using Linux and OS X so much is that I've become completely absent-minded when it comes to security. When I use my usual 2 environments, you can more or less trust the software going on to the machine. Six years of using Linux and I've never had malicious software appear on the system. I've only been using my mac for 8 months, but its track record so far has been spotless. This means that the same mentality transfers over to using Win XP at work. On several occasions the IT guys have had to kick me off the network and come remove a virus that I accidentally installed, all because I'm just so used to being able to safely open attachments. It gets to be quite embarrassing - it starts to look like the developer can't handle his own computer.
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

Quote Originally Posted by Schotty
    Actually I am suprised to hear that they would suspend you, and impressed. The world needs to take care of the issue rather than passing the buck. Its reassuring that the ISP doesnt want to be involved in the spreading of any malware or virii.

Who is your ISP?

My ISP is InterNLNET connected through SurfNet , if I'm right (they have a sourceforge mirror).

http://www.inter.nl.net
    Eat your l33t skillz!
    My home page: http://www.inter.nl.net/users/alexeif/