Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Any Distro use Wake on LAN?

Thread: Any Distro use Wake on LAN?

Any Distro use Wake on LAN?

Okay, after about 60 hours spent trying to get wake on lan to work in suse 10, I give up. Is there ANY distribution that can use Wake on LAN successfully? I have been having hell of a time with this backup machine, where basically, if I power the unit down before linux loads by pushing the case's power off button, WOL works fine. But if I let linux load, and then shutdown, no workie. So, today I spent the day trying this on three other suse 10 machines, with 4 different brand/model adapters, and all three having WOL capabilities, and NONE of them work... that is, unless I power the box off before linux loads.
    I would greatly appreciate some ideas before I do something crazy like load WinXP on this thing...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache

Quote Originally Posted by vwgtiturbo
    Okay, after about 60 hours spent trying to get wake on lan to work in suse 10, I give up. Is there ANY distribution that can use Wake on LAN successfully? I have been having hell of a time with this backup machine, where basically, if I power the unit down before linux loads by pushing the case's power off button, WOL works fine. But if I let linux load, and then shutdown, no workie. So, today I spent the day trying this on three other suse 10 machines, with 4 different brand/model adapters, and all three having WOL capabilities, and NONE of them work... that is, unless I power the box off before linux loads.
    I would greatly appreciate some ideas before I do something crazy like load WinXP on this thing...
    I am not sure your problem is related to your OS. Sounds more like some power management issue. Sorry I can't be more specific, but you might want to google for "power management wol linux" or something like that.
    Alternatively, check these links:

http://xlife.zuavra.net/columns/20050516/
    http://www.scyld.com/wakeonlan.html
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Thanks for the response! Judging by the lack of responses on other forums, you would swear that noone in the world has tried to get Wake on LAN to work with Linux.
    I saw these links during my research, and the only thing I haven't tried is the pci-config. Hopefully, it will compile on my system. From the looks of it, some folks needed gcc2.95, which I don't have... I have whatever came with Suse 10, so we'll see.
    I am going to try to get this to work on a fourth box, then try pci-config, then I will get back here and let you know what happened. Thanks again!
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Good Guru
    I havent done it, but have used and seen it on a RHEL3 server(s). I know this because I imaged and built what seemed like 1000's of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advisor
    hmm... dosn't
    > etherwake [MAC of WOL machine]
    work ?
    It should be a simpel as that, provided the source mashine is within broadcast distance of the target machine.
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

I think is a power management issue, since he said that the WOL works after a hard shutdown but not a soft one. One of the links says that the machine needs to shutdown into S3. My guess is that the operating system is shutting it down into S1.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

I know it's kinda late, seeing u guys had these problems back in 2006, but this is a site that I stumbled upon when I tried to fix a smilar problem with my suse 10.0 and figured that others might still have this problem. Also, this is the only forum site I found dealing exclusively with suse.
    Windows shutdown --> WOL works perfectly. Powerbutton shutdown, no problem. Suse 10.0 shutdown - only the power button could bring it back up.
    The solution that worked for me (and hope works for others as well) was actually simple. /etc/rc.d/network by default doesn't set the nic's wake on lan option to "g" (ethtool eth0 to check it out). so you must do it yourself:
    edit the file: /etc/init.d/network (57% through the file) for "S in
    $SUCCESS_IFACES: do test "$IFACE" - "$S" && continue 2" and add
    "&& ethtool -s $IFACE wol g >/dev/null"
    assuming you have the "power on pme event" option set to ON in the BIOS, it should work. cheers

Hello there! Well, I wish you had been around last year, when I was wrestling this beast. I never found a working solution with Suse 10.0, spending most of my time hacking the init scripts (to no avail, of course), and especially since I am no Linux guru (I know enough to get myself into trouble), it is no surprise that I never got it to work. However, I DID see that Slackware 10 and 11 had WOL working out of the box (which was odd at the time, because in Slack 10, in order to get the machine to poweroff on shutdown without having to use the power switch, you had to edit a script for APM), and it worked in Suse 10.1 and 9.3. Having broken my Suse teeth on 10.0 and really being a fan of it (and HATING the screwy changes they made for the sake of change for 10.1), I said 'Forget it' and migrated back to Suse 9.3 Pro (on which, WOL works flawlessly).
    Granted, my server OS is out of date and doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of a newer version, BUT it works with little fuss, even with my RAID card. I don't use it for much... just as a backup server, so it doesn't have to be as polished as my desktop (I recently converted from Win to Mac).
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL