Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Pulling My Hair Out... Can Surf The Net,but Not Ping Network Or Router

Thread: Pulling My Hair Out... Can Surf The Net,but Not Ping Network Or Router

Pulling My Hair Out... Can Surf The Net,but Not Ping Network Or Router

Wow, this system is driving me nuts. Not only am I wrestling with Wake on LAN, now we have this...
    When I boot this system (suse10), and I log in, I can run ifconfig, and my two NICs are both up,and addresses are assigned. However, I cannot ping systems on my network (both another Suse system and Win box). I can't ping my router either. I can, however, surf the net. Does this make any sense?

Now, the kicker... FYI, eth0 on this system is an onboard NIC that I am not using, hence the references to eth1 and eth2... If I run ifconfig eth1(and 2) down, then ifconfig eth1(and2) up, everything works as advertised. Why on earth do I need to bring the NICs down, then back up?
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache

Can you disable the nic you are not using, reboot, and see if the problem persists?
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Well, I have tried to delete the adapter currently assigned to eth0 from the hardware setup in suse, but it never goes away. It just sits there, with 'not configured' next to it. I am not sure how I could completely disable it, as my BIOS doesn't seem to have an option for this (although there is an entire section for onboard peripherals). I just can't figure out how, after bringing the interfaces down, then back up, everything works. It is too odd...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Good Guru
    IIRC, most onboard stuff can be disabled using a jumper on the MB itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

I am an idiot... After looking at the bootup, and seeing that the NIC was being detected but was not configured, I looked in the BIOS, and it seems that there are TWO places that you need to disable the NICs not just one. My network woes never went away, so I ended up installing Slackware instead of Suse to see if I can get Wake on LAN to work. So far, it's a no-go... Crap...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Good Guru
    Have you tried either Ubuntu or Red Hat Enterprise Linux ( or its based such as CentOS) or Fedora Core? I would move into that direction instead if I were you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    I agree. SuSE does things weird. Nothing is simple. Christ, Gentoo or Slackware can be easier alot of the time. My particular issues are the lackings of YaST.

If this is for work or is used as as a server, go CentOS to see if you like how Red Hat Enterprise works. Otherwise Fedora, Ubuntu, or Linspire would be best for multimedia desktops and gaming rigs.

I used to use Slackware, but I didn't REALLY use it too much. I never even did a full migration to it. I ended up giving up on it, as I HATED how sometimes even the smallest things required a lot of work. I have no problem doing some work, especially if things work out in the end, but I got sick of spending more time fiddling and trying to get stuff to work than I actually spend USING the computer. I tried Suse, and on the desktop, I love it. It is easy, and it mostly just works. I ended up buying a retail version after using the Eval download, because I had heard how great the manuals for Suse were. Yeah... right. The paper manual that comes with it is garbage, it is only an install type manual. And the electronic manual on the disc is large, but is very basic. Hell, they never covered something as simple as Wake on LAN. Well, maybe it isn't simple, but I figure that if XX% of the servers on the web are Linux based, and most of the users of Linux are technologically inclined, I would THINK that Wake on LAN would be no big deal.
    In any case, maybe I will try Ubuntu or CentOS on this server and keep Suse on my desktop. I'll see how it goes. Luckily, I haven't gotten anything accomplished on the server, so I am not loosing much by installing another OS on it...
    Thanks for the suggestions. I was starting to think that these forums were ghost towns!
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by vwgtiturbo
    I ended up giving up on it, as I HATED how sometimes even the smallest things required a lot of work. I have no problem doing some work, especially if things work out in the end, but I got sick of spending more time fiddling and trying to get stuff to work than I actually spend USING the computer.
    The main reason I never liked that much of Slack is that. It's too much work. I used to do LFS but gave up due to that I rarely need any specific piece of software compile for my generic PC. So I went with Debian and never looked back. Even with Red Hat, it used to be that you need to install what LIB particular RPM required. Then and only then, you can use your specific package. Debian was superior in that aspect so I ended up loving Debian. When Ubuntu came out, I was spechless. What else can I ask for more?? Based on Debian plus kickass desktop.

I tried Suse, and on the desktop, I love it. It is easy, and it mostly just works.
    SuSE was, well, different. They do some weird things that other major vendors won't do. But they also have some major advantages though.

Hell, they never covered something as simple as Wake on LAN. Well, maybe it isn't simple,
    WOL used to be of something many desire but had been dying down lately and not many even talked about it. You may have particular reason to have it but majority gave up already.

but I figure that if XX% of the servers on the web are Linux based, and most of the users of Linux are technologically inclined, I would THINK that Wake on LAN would be no big deal.
    Generally, yes. But let me be the first to admit that this particular forum is not that much of techie crowd who sleeps and eat at server rooms. The great majority of us are techie users but are not hard core network admins. When some of us are, some config are not what we used to see and work with (such as Wake On Lan). I've never used it and never seen a need to. Even on some NICs that I've come across, with WOL port, I thought they were useless. Like I said before, some may have a use for it.

I was starting to think that these forums were ghost towns!
    You might like to try other mailing lists that are heavy on server experiences and stuff. Or try mailing list at SVLUG. SVLUG is heavily unix gurus and sometime can be very dangerous water to wonder around. They can be really mean at times. It took me almost two years to adjust to their way of thinking.

No IT BS !!

As far as ghost towns...

I guess I was just spoiled when the GLO forums were around (R.I.P.). Usually, in a matter of hours, responses were posted, and luckily, there were quite a few gurus there that really really knew their stuff.
    I have never been into servers and stuff, but I had an itch for this project I am doing now, so I am kind of learning as I go (which isn't really a good thing, when I am not a Linux guru to begin with). Hopefully, as it goes along, it will get a bit easier. Sometimes, I just HATE being a tinkerer...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL