Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Try Mepis...

Thread: Try Mepis...

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Try Mepis...

I used to use Mepis Linux back in the good ol' 2004 versions, however, i have been always unimpressed when it came to the Distro's ability to update, all of the servers always seemed to be down! Well, anyway, i haven't touched a Distro since about 5 months ago because I have simply not had the time, but I heard that Mepis is now based on Ubuntu, so I gave it a try.

Well, let me tell u that I am both shocked and astounded on just how far Linux has come in just a few months. The KDE 3.5 is much better then any other version so far, and I like the way that Mepis has everything right out of the box (multimedia and nvidia drivers) and i love the visuals. If u are looking for a new distro that is fairly simple to use (not too dumb though) and has a great install package, then install the new Mepis 6!!!
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Good Guru
    So what mepis used to based on? RH?

- The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Mepis has always been based on Debian. It just now is switching from Sid to more of Ubuntu's respositories.

I been using it since 3.3.1 and do like it alot. I was using it and Ubuntu to see which one would be good to suggest to linux newbies. I haven't tried the new ubu mepis yet.
    Microsoft aims to 'borg' Yahoo in $44.6 Billion deal
    "We are Microsoft. Resistance is futile"

What does Mepis do to Ubuntu to merit a new distro? Ie, what does Mepis provide that Kubuntu does not?
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

Good Guru
    Mepis is an installable LiveCD based on Debian. It is a pretty clean KDE centric distro that has pretty sane choices for default apps.

That's what I'm talking about. IMO, you just described Kubuntu perfectly. It's deadly clean and has sane defaults.

I suppose it's not an installable LiveCD...just a LiveCD and an Install CD. I don't really see that as a justification for a whole new distro, though.
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House