Thread: Home Network Mail Server

Hybrid View

Home Network Mail Server

Hi,

New to the forum and looking forward to participating.

Please, I'm new and I have a simple question that may seem very obvious to all.

My ISP is blocking port 25 so I want to use the MailHop Relay service from DynDNS. I am trying to set up a MX record on DynDNS. It ask for the hostname of my mail server.

I have a home network using a Netgear Wireless Router. I have 3 computers on the network using 'myhome' as my domain name. My hosts file on all 3 boxes is as follows:

192.167.2.10 www.myhome.net www
    192.168.2.88 four.myhome.net four
    192.168.2.14 ja.myhome.net ja

I am running my mail server, postfix on 192.168.2.14, ja and my web server on 192.168.2.10, www.

Now, when asked for the hostname of my mail server, is it 'ja.myhome.net' ?

I know that this may be obvious but I just want to be certain.

Also, I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a better or alternate solution for my port 25 issue.

Thanks

Wayne

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by WcPort
    New to the forum and looking forward to participating.
    Welcome to OpenFree.

My ISP is blocking port 25 so I want to use the MailHop Relay service from DynDNS. I am trying to set up a MX record on DynDNS. It ask for the hostname of my mail server.

<snip>

I am running my mail server, postfix on 192.168.2.14, ja and my web server on 192.168.2.10, www.

Now, when asked for the hostname of my mail server, is it 'ja.myhome.net' ?
    Actually, it's just "ja". Since you do not have a registered domain name (if you do, you certainly didn't mentioned it here), you can't use myhome.net as your domain name.

Then on Netgear router, define a port to be accepted via mailhop. Then forward all traffic on that port to your server ja's port 25.

For example, you want to interface your mail traffic on port 2525 of your router. Set up that port (2525) and IP addy (of your WAN connection) in your Dyndns config, host name as ja. Then on your netgear, forward all traffic in port 2525 to ja's IP and port 25. That should do it.

Also, I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a better or alternate solution for my port 25 issue.
    Nope. If a particular ISP block certain ports (such as 25 or 80), all you can do is use relay services or run alternate ports. Some will even block alternate ports with firewall filtered on specific protocol.
    I'm lucky enough to have all ports open by my ISP although it's a rare breed.

Another alternative is to change ISP.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Thanks Compunuts.

Yes I did fail to mention that the domain I am using is a registered domain.

Thanks again.