Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

DNS in CentOS - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DNS in CentOS

Try forcing it in there with route command. Are you getting all your settings from DHCP?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Try forcing it in there with route command. Are you getting all your settings from DHCP?
    Give me the syntax of that command, please. Not quite sure I follow.

I have set the CentOS box to a static IP. The rest of the LAN is on DHCP from the router.
    TANSTAAFL

Yeah, if your GW is not the same as the XP box, just take that GW and manually set it for now.
    Code:
    route add default gw 10.0.0.1
    for example. Then if that works for you, set it permanent using the GUI system-config-network tool.

Yeah, if your GW is not the same as the XP box, just take that GW and manually set it for now.
    Code:
    route add default gw 10.0.0.1
    for example. Then if that works for you, set it permanent using the GUI system-config-network tool.
    SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

That's a new one on me!
    TANSTAAFL

Do you think you're on the same LAN segment as XP box?

Do you think you're on the same LAN segment as XP box?
    Yes. I am sure. This is a wireless LAN contained in a single room.
    TANSTAAFL

forgive me for asking, but did you replace 10.0.0.1 with the gateway that shows up in XP in the route add line? 192.168.9.1 I believe

I have read over this thread, and I'm very confused.

Are you trying to get the centos box to resolve local network hostnames? Using it as a local dns server?
    For example you want to ping "gerbil" who is across the room, and you get the message that gerbil is unreachable, so you ping gerbils IP address and you get responses.

If you want a local dns server, here is what I would do:

1 make your dns a static ip- keep in mind a range of IP's for servers-- say xxx.xxx.xxx.1 - xxx.xxx.xxx.50 Put your DNS server in this range. This range will be used for all other servers added to the xxx.xxx.xxx.0/24 subnet.

2 If your wireless router has some rj45 ports in the back-- a dns server should (imho) be wired.

3 For small networks you should (it doesnt sound like you are trying to set up an isp) use dnsmasq. It is simple to configure, it does dynamic updates to its dns records with its built in dhcp deamon. Set up the built in dhcp server to a range above the statics from step 1, say: xxx.xxx.xxx.100 - xxx.xxx.xxx.200 (xxx.xxx.xxx. being your subnet) When running, it will forward queries for address outside your network to your isp's dns (it will cache these as well), and resolve hostnames on your local network, while providing dhcp service. Any static ip's on your net work should be included in the /etc/hosts file on the centos box, including this dns server (as they dont hit the dhcp). Make sure your resolve.conf has your isp's dns numbers in it (or some other stable upstream dns that will forward to you).

4 Turn dhcp off on your router, use the centos box.

5 Obtain new leases on the on the clients so they register with the new dhcp. (In windows: "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew") After that you should be gtg.

Some other random notes:

you could use bind+dynamic update+dhcpd but it comes with a hefty learning curve, and messy chroot's.

You should be able to yum dnsmasq. There are no manpages-- the config file so simple you dont need one.

dnsmasq can point clients to other services: network time, wins, mx, etc..

I hope I'm close what you are trying to do, I try to post thorough even if I'm going in the wrong direction lol

dan

Good Guru
    If you are tying to use your AP's DNS server, forget it.

I have a Netgear WG614 AP router and it's POS. If I configure my network manually using ISP's DNS value, it will work. If I point the DNS to the AP (192.168.2.1), it won't resolve.

YMMV but I never able to figure out why DNS won't work and I haven't tried it hard enough.

- The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    forgive me for asking, but did you replace 10.0.0.1 with the gateway that shows up in XP in the route add line? 192.168.9.1 I believe
    heheh ...

Quote Originally Posted by cga
    nameserver 192.168.9.1

The second one is the default gateway/router.

- The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!