Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

DNS in CentOS

Thread: DNS in CentOS

Hybrid View

DNS in CentOS

Hi all,

I have a small box runing CentOS 4.2 here at school. This is a minimal, text based install. The system works fine, and I can ping and ssh to it from any workstation on the LAN, however, I do not seem to have DNS (i.e. it works from the IP adress, not from the Hostname.

DNS is handled by the router, but I think I am missing something.

Any ideas?
    TANSTAAFL

Good Guru
    Is bind listed in /etc/host.conf ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts
    Is bind listed in /etc/host.conf ?
    Yes.

order hosts,bind
    TANSTAAFL

If its an isolated LAN, you probably have no DNS. Can check by doing a
    Code:
    host www.google.com
    . If you think you should have DNS, make sure /etc/resolv.conf contains entries. Otherwise, populate your /etc/hosts on each machine with all the others IPs and names.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    If its an isolated LAN, you probably have no DNS. Can check by doing a
    Code:
    host www.google.com
    . If you think you should have DNS, make sure /etc/resolv.conf contains entries. Otherwise, populate your /etc/hosts on each machine with all the others IPs and names.
    Yeah, I have /etc/resolv.conf as follows:

nameserver 192.168.9.105
    nameserver 192.168.9.1

The second one is the default gateway/router.

Host www.google.com works fine.
    TANSTAAFL

OK, if I try to ping the DNS server, I get a host unreachable result. From the CentOS box -- I can ping the DNS from XP just fine.
    TANSTAAFL

Does netstat -rn return a gateway?

Code:
    netstat -rn
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
    10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth0
    169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U         0 0          0 eth0
    0.0.0.0         10.0.0.1        0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth0
    If not, then see if you can extract the gateway to use from XP box and put it in the Linux one.

If this is a small LAN then chances are, they themselves wont be in DNS. You'll have to depend on hosts files.

whoops, I didnt see your other post.

So it's probably that these machines themselves are not in DNS and you have to rely on hosts files

edit-
    it's odd though that you cant ping the dns servers but you can resolve internet addresses.
    Last edited by Outlaw; 04-07-2006 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Does netstat -rn return a gateway?

Code:
    netstat -rn
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
    10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth0
    169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U         0 0          0 eth0
    0.0.0.0         10.0.0.1        0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth0
    If not, then see if you can extract the gateway to use from XP box and put it in the Linux one.

If this is a small LAN then chances are, they themselves wont be in DNS. You'll have to depend on hosts files.
    Hmmmm... I get a gateway alue from netstat that ends in .254. ipconfig on XP gives the gateway as .1

Should I tweak my routing tables to reflect the XP value for the last octet?
    TANSTAAFL

Hi everyone.

I have a problem expect people to help.
    I am using CentOS 6. I installed bind-DNS service. All configuration files are in / usr / share /xxxx / sample / ... in which the file as name.conf; name.rfc1912.zone and other files.
    The problem here is that I do not know how to copy these files to where to configure correctly. I also tried several times but to no avail.

Expect people to help.
    Thank you very much.