Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

How do view network stations?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do view network stations?

Question How do view network stations?

With what network command can i view all stations in my uni network?
    How can i have access to an AP?With what commands/program?

Thanks for your attention!

I am not sure what you mean by 'viewing.' If you want to see what hosts are out there, you can make a bash script that pings every host on your network and writes down the results (as long as he other machines do not have exho requests turned off.)
    You can access an AP with any of a multitude of wireless tools under linux: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
    If you are a little more specific on your request, perhaps we can help you better.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

I think if you look to other forums you will answer more of my questions Thank you for your posts and precious time spending .I guess i have to study a bit now!

Being more specific

Im on a laptop with FC5 and i want to access a wireless box which is connected ONLY with my laptop via ethernet(The network includes my laptop and the box).In order to use the wireless tools iwconfig,iwspy,iwlist etc i have to be root in the box right? The problem is how i connect to the box.The box has a linux installation configured.I tried the SSH command but i have to know a user hostname or sth.how do i get that?(the password i know it).

If you are going to SSH to another machine, you need to be given an account on that box. The administrator of the box should give you one. If you have permission to access the remote box, you can go and create an account for yourself. You can also acquire the hostname of the remote box from the administrator, or by physically login into the remote box and issuing the command
    Code:
    hostname
    . And yes, you need root access to use the wireless tools.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by titanas
    Im on a laptop with FC5 and i want to access a wireless box which is connected ONLY with my laptop via ethernet(The network includes my laptop and the box).
    If I understand you right, the RJ45 cable from your laptop is directly connected to the wireless box's network adapter?

Tell us more about your "wireless box". Is it AP (Access Point) gateway with built in switch?

In order to use the wireless tools iwconfig,iwspy,iwlist etc i have to be root in the box right?
    Yes.

The problem is how i connect to the box.
    It all depends on how you want to connect it. Via SSH or Telnet (for remote logins) and NFS or Samba for file sharing.

The box has a linux installation configured.
    Depending on what distro of Linux, the installation can be quiet different. Many distros will not install SSH server by default. You will have to install it yourself or someone had to do that for you on the server box that you wanted to access.

I tried the SSH command but i have to know a user hostname or sth.how do i get that?(the password i know it).
    You can't really do that via remotely. When you are on that box, try the command Trickster gave it to you (hostname) or look in /etc/hostname file. Then get the user name that you wanted to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    With what network command can i view all stations in my uni network?
    You can try Linneighborhood if you are in Windows network.

How can i have access to an AP?
    Access as in? Internet sharing? Configuring your AP? Using AP to get onto internet?

With what commands/program?
    Check out NetGo. An easy to use profile management app for WiFi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No IT BS !!

Either this thing is too complicated or im too newbie to understand.Maybe both.

Lets say my laptop now is connected to a wider network.A university network with 100 more pcs and many wireless AP connected to that wired network.
    I want to connect to an AP of the network from my laptop and being able to transfer files there,simlutae its performance & run any programs there from my laptop.Generally be a root there.

1st: i cannot find it in the network. (i have its IP address(wired n wireless),mac address,password for root (ssh),mesh interface ip address.
    With what commands i find it?Nmap will it work?I guess ill have to find it and then with ssh access it right?

2nd:Can i transfer files there with scp command and run them as root?the OS used there is called Nylon(linux distro).

Did i enlight you at all?After i access it i want to install a program there (click modular router soft) and simulate an stdma scheduling technic at the mac layer of the access point.

I know im being too optimistic for a newbie but i need help!

Good Guru
    Lets say my laptop now is connected to a wider network.A university network with 100 more pcs and many wireless AP connected to that wired network.
    If it's Windows network (with SMB as its protocol) you can install Linneighborhood and can see all the computers in that network just like you would do that in "Network Neighborhood" in Windows (2K, xp, etc).

But if you are looking for tools to see the whole hetrogenious network (with all kinds of computers such as unixes, Mac, routers, APs), then you will need to find out what kind of reporting system they are running (such as SNMP) and go from there. That's really huge task.

I want to connect to an AP of the network from my laptop and being able to transfer files there,simlutae its performance & run any programs there from my laptop.Generally be a root there.
    As far as my (little) knowledge goes, I've yet to come across any AP that will let you do file transfer and stuff. You can modify the firmware of some WiFi APs (such as Linksys WRT54) and install SSH and stuff but that's about it. If it's an enterprise class router/WiFi AP, it's different story. Generally, you can do that via SSH if they are running it. It depends on what protocol really.

1st: i cannot find it in the network. (i have its IP address(wired n wireless),mac address,password for root (ssh),mesh interface ip address.
    With what commands i find it?
    You mean the hostname? If the network has DNS server, you can run commands like hosts or nslookup . If they run Finger service, you can use that too.

Nmap will it work?
    May be. Try it.

I guess ill have to find it and then with ssh access it right?
    YOu do not need hostname to ssh in. YOu can just use IP to access it. For example,

Code:
    ssh 192.168.0.50
    will ask you for username and password. If you have root password, then type in user "root" as username. Since it's VERY dangerous to accept root user to remotely log in, many SSH servers will defaultly disable remote root log in. But I've seen some who do that (and their lame excuse was their internal network is secure).

2nd:Can i transfer files there with scp command and run them as root?the OS used there is called Nylon(linux distro).
    May be. Most Linux distro will have many general commands that will work. scp being one if you have SSH on the server.

Did i enlight you at all?
    Got me more confused?

After i access it i want to install a program there (click modular router soft) and simulate an stdma scheduling technic at the mac layer of the access point.
    You know, the easiest would be to run some kind of HTTP or FTP server and transfer files that way. With the amount of time it takes to do all the set up of shares and stuff (unless it was for pure experimentation and learning), I don't get why people transfer files via Samba and stuff. I mean, just for file transfer, it's much more easier to do it via FTP.
    If you don't do anything, how are you going to learn most anything?

No IT BS !!

With what commands i find it?
    What does "find it" means? If you know the IP address, you don't need to "find it" since you know where it is. Do you mean access it? If so, what kind of access? File sharing? A remote shell?
    If you can connect to it through SSH, you should be able to transfer files with scp.
    Did i enlight you at all?After i access it i want to install a program there (click modular router soft) and simulate an stdma scheduling technic at the mac layer of the access point.

Sounds to me like you want to access a remote shell. If that is the case, the remote server has to be running SSH server, and you need to connect to it through an SSH client.