Thread: Kubuntu 6.04 Dapper Drake PPC

Kind Mastermind

Kubuntu 6.04 Dapper Drake PPC

All,

I can't, for the life of me, figure this one out. How do you burn a bootable kubuntu disc so that it will install on a Mac? I just want to download the latest (flight 5) Drake disc so that I can install it on my iBook G3. Any ideas?

Cheers
    The one serious conviction that a man should have is that nothing is to be taken too seriously.
    Where facts are few, experts are many.

Advisor
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

I was able to get Dapper Flight CD to boot up on my iBook G4. I think I just burned the ISO to a CD, rebooted, and held down the "c" key while it was starting up. This link tells you key combos for starting up your mac, including booting from CD.

http://www.jacsoft.co.nz/Tech_Notes/Mac_Keys.htm

Unfortunately Dapper Flight CD didn't work so well on my G4. Most noticably the trackpad BARELY worked at all, and I couldn't get internet up and running.
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

Kind Mastermind
    My biggest issue is that all of the other iso's I've downloaded (ubuntu, kubuntu, Fedora Core 4, etc) haven't burned properly. I've burned the iso to disc using winblows and then booting (or trying to boot, I should say) the disc by holding down the c button on my ibook. I could boot into winblows and read the cds (which I shouldn't be able to do, considering that Macs only boot from HSF formatted discs). So, the whole issue has been very frustrating for me.

trickster...how did you burn the discs that you sent me last year?

Cheers
    The one serious conviction that a man should have is that nothing is to be taken too seriously.

I burned mine using the Disk Utility app on my Mac. Can you try that out?
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

Kind Mastermind
    Unfortunately, my burner is an external and the Disc Utility doesn't recognize it. Sadly enough.

Cheers

Good question! Didn't I sent you some original Ubuntu ones?
    Otherwise I probably burned them under Windows. Perhaps you want to try a different cd burning app?
    Last edited by trickster; 04-04-2006 at 12:17 PM.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Can you get your iBook to boot from other CDs? Ie, make sure it's not your laptop.

Make sure you're holding down "c" right from the start. As soon as I hear the machine go <click whirrrrr> to indicate that it knows I've pressed the power button to turn it on, I start holding down c and don't stop until I see the CD booting up.
    I lost my self-respect at Wes&#039; Rib House

Kind Mastermind
    I finally figured it out. It was windows/cd burner xp pro. Great program, but not for burning an ppc iso. I had to patch Mac OS X 10.2 with patchburn and select a driver for my external DVD-+RW/RAM drive...it took several different driver patches before I found one that worked. So, now I have mounted the Dapper iso with Disk Utility and have dragged it onto a burning program that I have. I am currently burning the image to disc as we speak. I am also downloading Fedora Core 5 for a burning session later this week. Once I have all of the Fedora discs I'll back up my Mac and then install Kubuntu. If I don't like it, I'll install Fedora...it's been a long time since I've fussed with the Redhat rpm camp. I wonder if I'll like it. Who knows. I do know that it comes highly recommended by lovey. Aside from that, I'm hoping a few things that I've dug up over these last few months will allow me to run Kubuntu and play DVDs without any serious lag. If so, then I believe that I will be proprietary OS free on my laptop for good!

Cheers