Thread: Connecting Two Wireless Routers

Kind Mastermind

Connecting Two Wireless Routers

All,

I currently own a Netgear WGR614 wireless router which is attached to my cable modem. I would like to set up a second wireless router with a printer server built in (U.S. Robotics USR5461 Wireless MAXg 125Mbps Router to be specific). We want to be able to place our printer in another part of the house so that the little ones don't ruin it (it is a Samsung color laser printer).

My question is this, how can I set the second router up to access the home network, provide print services and act as a signal enhancer? I want to do this right so that I have very few pains.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    The one serious conviction that a man should have is that nothing is to be taken too seriously.
    Where facts are few, experts are many.

Good Guru
    Can you run a wire to the other? That way you can set up one to act as a router and the other as a AP.

Or you can subnet. That may be the easiest to setup (hardware wise) but harder with the software end of things. Mostly the firmware.

The ideal way is to have a central point that all the wireless devices get wired into and wire all APs to that (like in the first option).

Associate
    I'm not sure as I don't have a lot of experience with wireless, but if you set up the second router in bridge mode wouldn't that enable you to do this?

It looks like the USR5461 has something called WDS that seems to be related to passing on a wireless signal, but I don't know anything about it, might look into it. USR5461 Support Page

I think some wireless routers support this and others don't. If I am correct, one of the routers needs to be able to work just as a bridge.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Most home wireless routers do not allow bridging. I have, however, used hacked firmwares that allowed this with linksys routers.

Google for "wireless bridging" and see what pops up

dan