Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Killing an XSession

Thread: Killing an XSession

Killing an XSession

Here is a question that has been bugging me. Sometimes KDS locks up tight on me. It locks up the keyboard, mouse everything. But! I am able to SSH into it from another machine. My problem is this, what process do I kill to either a)Kill the XSession, or b)Kill the users shell.

I tried kill -9 on every process/services that was associated with the user that is logged in with the locked KDE session, but nothing seemed to boot them. I even tried killing their bash instance, but that still wouldn't unlock it. Finally I got fed up and just rebooted the computer. Everything is working fine now.

Any ideas?
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

If you can SSH in, I wonder if you can just give it an init 3, and if it works, init 5?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advisor
    What login session are you using ? if you're using xdm, then just
    > /etc/init.d/xdm restart
    If you're using kdmit's
    < /etc/init.d/kdm restart
    Else:
    > kill `pidof X`
    Btw, root is the true owner of the X execution.

// edit
    > ps auxf | grep -A 3 -B 3 user
    will show how/where the users shell is spawned from, if everything else fails and you want to kill their shell.
    Last edited by redhead; 03-24-2006 at 10:09 PM.
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

Heh, I totally forgot to try killing/restarting KDM. That would probably do it. I knew I was forgetting something really basic. Thanks redhead.
    jro -

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7