Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

NFS Server

Thread: NFS Server

NFS Server

Hey, I installed OpenSuse 10.0 on 3 of my pcs and 2 are running NFS and it's working GREAT!! except I want to be able to write and delete files and it wont let me do that

also whats the diff between Samba and NFS?

TIA
    Michael

If you're root, you can't and don't want to do that across NFS shares. If you're a regular user, match up GIDs and UIDs for all users on all boxes.

Difference between NFS and Samba is protocol and interop. You want Samba usually when you want to do file sharing among Linux and Windows. NFS is the way to go for file sharing between Unixes. There's a PET on making windows play with NFS.

SMB HowTo

NFS protocol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hwo to I set the UID and GID? there both the same OS and EXACT same setup (users included)

also IMO I kinda find NFS to be faster then Samba and I have a pure *nix network here at home

Just make sure user exists on both machines - which you indicate they do, and make sure their UID and GID match

Code:
    id user
    Code:
    radar@saturn:~$ id radar
    uid=1000(radar) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),1001(pubusers)
    radar@saturn:~$
    Also, verify that the users in question have perms on the exported FS and the export is rw

Code:
    radar@saturn:~$ sudo grep rw /etc/exports
    /srv    192.168.0.4(secure,rw,sync)
    Last edited by Outlaw; 04-07-2006 at 09:41 PM.

thanks, i'll try this out when I get home and i'll post my results

well the GID and UID

but when I "grep rw /etc/exports" nothing shows up. do I have to manually enter the location of the folder on the NFS server?

There should be an export defined in /etc/exports, similar to the line shown above.

Post your /etc/exports and also post the result of mount from one of the clients who mount the share.

well after a lot of playing around I finally got it to work, all I did was change "ro" to "rw" rebooted and now it works great!!!