Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

DVDs not playing in mplayer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVDs not playing in mplayer

DVDs not playing in mplayer

Hey, I dunno why but my dvds arent playing in mplayer (got the codecs installed) and Ihave libdvdcss installed also, totem wont even play it.

If you run mplayer from a shell, do you see any error output?
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

It might depend on the DVD too, some use encryption that none of the Linux codecs can play. I have noticed that with some of the newer more popular movies. This isn't always, just some of the time.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Advisor
    I've had problems with getting mplayer to play dvds, not because the codec is nonexiting or anythign like that, but I never figured out how to overcome it, so now I mostly use xine for playing dvds.
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

Same deal for me. Never did figure out that mplayer deal. I've always used Totem with the xine backend for playing DVDs and it's worked like a dream. Search yum for totem and see if you can find anything with the xine backend. If not, maybe totem-gstreamer is finally up to the task? It's been "getting there" for about 2 years now.
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

hmmm just a thought ... maybe the dvd media itself do have problems... will the disk works with dvd players?
    Registered Linux User # 279330

Good Guru
    My thinking is this -- what is the error? If you open the dvd off the cli in the apps that dont work (like mplayer here), what is the error that causes the app to not play the dvd?

My bet is it is looking at one spot for the codecs, but you have them elsewhere. As aforementioned, Totem is a bit easier since you can add codecs very easily thru Totem's preferences. Mplayer always told me where to put them (forget offhand). And I just put them there and it worked.

Now IIRC, there is a config file that can tell mplayer a specific loc, such as the $HOME/.mplayerrc/codecs/. Perhaps you can verify that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

well here is the output of mplayer

Using GNU internationalization
    Original domain: messages
    Original dirname: /usr/share/locale
    Current domain: mplayer
    Current dirname: /usr/share/locale

MPlayer dev-CVS--4.1.0 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
    CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon 64 Clawhammer; Athlon 64 X2 Toledo; Turion Newark,Lancaster (Family: 15, Stepping: 2)
    CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1

Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Permission denied
    Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system startup scripts.
    Opening joystick device /dev/input/js0
    Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
    Can't init input joystick
    Setting up LIRC support...
    mplayer: could not connect to socket
    mplayer: No such file or directory
    Failed to open LIRC support.
    You will not be able to use your remote control.
    New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
    Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
    subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.

(<unknown>:3150): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

(<unknown>:3150): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_pixmap_set: assertion `gdk_colormap_get_visual (gtk_widget_get_colormap (GTK_WIDGET (pixmap)))->depth == gdk_drawable_get_depth (GDK_DRAWABLE (val))' failed

(<unknown>:3150): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

(<unknown>:3150): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_pixmap_set: assertion `gdk_colormap_get_visual (gtk_widget_get_colormap (GTK_WIDGET (pixmap)))->depth == gdk_drawable_get_depth (GDK_DRAWABLE (val))' failed
    Playing dvd://1.
    Reading disc structure, please wait...
    There are 11 titles on this DVD.
    There are 1 chapters in this DVD title.
    There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
    DVD successfully opened.
    MPEG-PS file format detected.
    VIDEO: MPEG2 720x480 (aspect 2) 29.970 fps 4000.0 kbps (500.0 kbyte/s)
    ================================================== ========================
    Opening audio decoder: [liba52] AC3 decoding with liba52
    Using SSE optimized IMDCT transform
    AC3: 2.0 (stereo) 48000 Hz 224.0 kbit/s
    Using MMX optimized resampler
    AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 224.0 kbit/14.58% (ratio: 28000->192000)
    Selected audio codec: [a52] afm: liba52 (AC3-liba52)
    Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough
    VDec: vo config request - 720 x 480 (preferred colorspace: Mpeg PES)
    Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
    Opening video filter: [scale]
    The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
    Try adding the scale filter, e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
    VDecoder init failed
    Opening video decoder: [libmpeg2] MPEG 1/2 Video decoder libmpeg2-v0.4.0b
    Selected video codec: [mpeg12] vfm: libmpeg2 (MPEG-1 or 2 (libmpeg2))
    AO: [oss] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
    Starting playback...
    VDec: vo config request - 720 x 480 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
    VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
    Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
    VO: [xv] 720x480 => 720x540 Planar YV12
    A: 0.4 V: 0.1 A-V: 0.289 ct: 0.003 2/ 2 ??% ??% ??,?% 0 0

A: 1.8 V: 1.8 A-V: 0.016 ct: 0.048 48/ 48 20% 32% 1.8% 0 0

A: 2.2 V: 2.2 A-V: 0.003 ct: 0.047 60/ 60 19% 32% 1.5% 0 0

and the codes are suppose to be in /usr/lib/win32/

well it's workin in Xine so i'll just use xine and delete mplayer.

To my understanding, the newer versions of MPlayer use the codecs from /usr/lib/codecs, or something like that. win32 should be just a symlink to that path.

I see an error about the video out device being incompatible. what command are you using to start MPlayer?
    This is the one I use: mplayer -vo xv (I think...).
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.