Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista Delayed -- Again

Vista Delayed -- Again

So, M$ has announced yet another delay in the release of Vista. This one puts it out after the beginning of 2007. They claim that they need more time to work out the bugs. Gee, M$ actually worried about bugs? I shudder to think what kind of a mess this thing must be.
    TANSTAAFL

Wow, anybody remember what the _ORIGINAL_ release date for Vista was going to be? I guess building a new OS from the ground up is a pretty big undertaking even for the legion of MS programmers.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Microsoft has kicked out the VP of Windows. Things must really be bad.

Even so, they promise vaporware all the time and keep people in suspense. With all the Linux competition they are getting the jitters. That old strategy won't prevent the undecided buyers from switching to something else as much.

I've upgraded to FC5 on my play around system at work. Looks very nice. Vista can wait.

One could argue that KDE4, Fedora 5.1, Novell Desktop 10.2, and Ubuntu 6.10 Goo-goo will all be released by the time Vista comes out. I think they are looking at KDE 3.5 and Gnome 2.14 to see what desktop functions they can "invent" for last minute implementation into Vista.

That, or they are having a hard time implementing tabs in IE7
    I was standing in the park wondering why Frisbees got bigger as they get closer. Then it hit me.

I think some of the MS programmers got spyware on their computers and it slowed down development...should have used Firefox ;-)
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Myself, I'm glad they're delaying it. It's not my favorite environment, but I do use it from time to time at work and school. If I'm going to be using it, I want it to work for me as best it can. If I'm not going to enjoy using it the way it is now, I'd rather they release something I'll like using by 2007 rather than release something I'll hate in 2006.
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

I'm afraid Ubuntu 6.10 will be 6.12 . Current realease is delayed for two months, instead of 6.04 it'll be 6.06. Of course that's not a problem because it's much better to use the newest alpha version and help with bug reports
    Eat your l33t skillz!
    My home page: http://www.inter.nl.net/users/alexeif/

Ubu 6.12 will make it out the door just before Vista if everyone keeps to their schedules. For the first time since 2001 people will be able to see the very latest and greatest from both Microsoft and a linux desktop. Until now it's always been about comparing the latest Ubuntu with XP, which is now 5 years out of date. It will be very interesting to compare 6.12 to Vista.

Hopefully Ubu will have dumped the default look by this time. I've gotta say, 6.12 is going to have to come out with something better than the Human theme to beat that glass windowing look in the latest Vista. I know people have mixed feelings about it, but I think it looks gorgeous.

For those unfamiliar, see here for example

Original thread here
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

Kind Mastermind
    Daddy likes the Aero/glassy look in Vista!

Cheers
    The one serious conviction that a man should have is that nothing is to be taken too seriously.
    Where facts are few, experts are many.

Good Guru
    Or M$ is waiting for Sun to finish up their project looking glass so that they can tell the world they invent 3D desktops.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!