Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

forum marked as "new posts" if I post in it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: forum marked as "new posts" if I post in it

forum marked as "new posts" if I post in it

Whenever I post in a subforum the forum software has the idiotic idea that there are new posts in that the forum, this definately shouldn't be the case - no other forum behaves this way.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good Guru
    I can confirm this behavior and agree that we should correct this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good Guru
    Yeah, even if I've read the posts in the sub-forum, I needed to go into the main forum to get those new-post diappear. Annoying for sure.

- The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Two different sets of symbols indicate whether a forum or sub forum has new posts.
    • On the forum home page, the large star to the left of each main forum turns from gray to gold when there are new posts in it, or one of its sub-forums.
    • The sub-forums also have their stars too. They reside to the left of each sub-forum's name. They turn from gray to gold too.
    If the main forum has a gold star and all the sub-forums remain gray, then the main forum is the one with the new posts.

The best way to determine whether a main forum or sub-forum has updates is to refer to these icons which should help to easily isolate correct forum to investigate.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by peter
    The best way to determine whether a main forum or sub-forum has updates is to refer to these icons which should help to easily isolate correct forum to investigate.
    All is good except ....

If a subforum has a new post (for example Redhat/Fedora subforum in distributions main forum) and I've read a post in that subforum and I clicked home from the top menu, the distribution forum still shows there is/are new posts indicator icon. If I go into that forum, there is none. Even a subforum will have none. ONLY after I go into the main forum after I went into the subforum again, it WILL NOT disappear (it refers to the new posts indicator icon). No matter how many times I've gone into the main forum, unless I go into the subforum of that new posts even after I've already read it from the main link of latest posts, it will NOT disappear. It still shows there are new posts.

No IT BS !!

So.. ISFEATURE not ISBUG.. unacceptable Peter, simply unacceptable

If I post in a subforum, there are no new posts I should be informed about, doing so is counter intuitive and goes against the methodology of every other forum on the internet. It's like my IM client sending me a message to inform me that I'm online - just bad behavior.

Please for the love of the flying spaghetti monster fix this.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

Did this problem start with the new Retro Blue forum theme / skin? It modified some of the PHP in the forum display scipts.

The problem I have seen, which appears to be similar to that noticed by Compunuts is that:
    • The sub-forum icon doesn't change to "read" until all the threads in the sub forum have been read. This doesn't actually occur until the sub-forum has been visited one more time after all the threads have been read.
    • The main forum's "read" icon doesn't change until all the main forum's threads have been read. This doesn't actually occur until the forum has been visited one more time after all the threads have been read.
    • Threads are not considered to be "read" until the last page of the thread has been read.
    Last edited by peter; 03-23-2006 at 03:01 PM.

Good Guru
    Yeah, it's only after retroblue theme modification. I thought it was the problem with the way retroblue check for new posts and read posts.

No IT BS !!

I have submitted the bug to the creator of the style. I will also work on modifying the old style to mimic RetroBlue closely.

Stay tuned and thanks for your patience.

I got a response from the Retro Blue developer who thinks it is a vBulletin issue. I think it is due to vBulletin being picky about some of his template changes. (It complains about a version incompatibility).

I have since followed vBulletin's suggestions to "revert" the Retro Blue template version to be compatible with the new version.

Same problem. It is also the same on the original theme for the forums.

I've submitted a bug report to vBulletin.
    Last edited by peter; 03-24-2006 at 11:41 PM.