Thread: PS3 to ship with Linux, Sony confirms

PS3 to ship with Linux, Sony confirms

So it seems the new PS3 is going to come preloaded with Linux. Do you have any idea what this means!? Do you!? It means I still probably won't buy one until at least 3 years after they are released because I am am too cheap.

PS3 to ship with Linux, Sony confirms
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Seems to me that Sony just increased that amount of Linux users quite a bit. They also seem to be providing quite a reasonable desktop replacement for me if I can hook it up to a regular monitor, keyboard and mouse.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

My blog

I love that idea, but the problem is that I hate Sony. I work in the electronics industry, and the one thing I hate more is Sony, and its attitude. Bummer, I dont know what to do.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by beezlebubsbum
    I love that idea, but the problem is that I hate Sony. I work in the electronics industry, and the one thing I hate more is Sony, and its attitude. Bummer, I dont know what to do.
    I have zero plans to buy sony ever again. The durability still is an issue, as well as the corporate strategy to go uber proprietary with everything, and not be friendly to anything.

I have plans for a 360 and a Revolution. None whatsoever for a PS3. As you stated I hate Sony, although linux adoption could be an excellent thing for the consoles.

I can't wait to get my hands on an old XBox. Put a XBox Media Center on it and you have a very inexpensive, small form factor media PC.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Associate
    I don't which worse supporting MS or Sony. Now that I have a son I might consider Nintendo. It always seemed the majority of games on it were designed for young kids.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by zenmatt
    I don't which worse supporting MS or Sony. Now that I have a son I might consider Nintendo. It always seemed the majority of games on it were designed for young kids.
    Sony and here is why:

The Microsoft empire is essentially 3 realms under one emperor -- OS, Office, Gaming. The crappiness is more in the first than in the last. At least their games work when you buy them ;D

Sony will try to shaft you whenever possible, intentionally building lifespans into their products and sabotaging the hardware when sent in, to cause non-warranty repairs that are so insane that you decide to buy a new unit.

That is Sony at its finest. Dont forget the virus issue with their audio cds, their true intent on blu-ray and the nightmare I fear is truly illustrated.

The worst with MS towards the consumer is the old Homer - "can I have some money now".