Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

no incomming connections on mandriva

Thread: no incomming connections on mandriva

Hybrid View

no incomming connections on mandriva

i just installed mandriva (finaly got rid of my ancient mandrake install) but i can't seem to get any incomming connections. not even pings.

however i van ping/ftp/ssh from mandriva to other systems. it even managed to get an ip from the dhcp.

now i already figured... shorewall (firewall standard for mandriva)

so i started editing that...

in the policy file it used to be this:
    Code:
    fw    all   ACCEPT
    net   all   DROP    info
    all   all   DROP   info
    seemed to explain it all... 2nd line..

so i changed it to:
    Code:
    fw    all   ACCEPT
    net   all   ACCEPT   info
    all   all   DROP   info
    restarted shorewall, didn't work(still no incomming connects.. got desperate and restarted the system still the same.

i tried shorewall clear
    shorewall stop

but it all didn't matter... still doesn't work

system:
    p2 350
    192MB ram
    3com 10/100 lan
    6.5 gb disk
    mandriva 2006 (installed from mini image since i only needed the basics. installed with security settings 'higher')

Good Guru
    Being a bit unfamilial with Shorewall, I am going to assume that its a supplement or replacement to iptables. If I am correct, I would stop or clear the rules out, then retest it. I am betting that there is a block rule of some sort that is preventing the connections in iptables itself that is not being cleared via shorewall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Schotty
    Being a bit unfamilial with Shorewall, I am going to assume that its a supplement or replacement to iptables.
    Shorewall is a firewall package that makes use of iptables but take away the need to know the settings. All you do is set the simple rules and it takes care of the rest such as actually inserting the rules set in iptables format.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts
    Shorewall is a firewall package that makes use of iptables but take away the need to know the settings. All you do is set the simple rules and it takes care of the rest such as actually inserting the rules set in iptables format.
    Thanks for the clarification.

When it comes to firewalling, I just default to OpenBSD. So I have yet to really learn the firewalling rules more than what CentOS makes me know ;D

@ compunuts, i actually forgot the rules file i'm at my parents now (normally i'd ssh to my system ), but tomorrow i'm home so i'll try it then. i'll let you know how it goes but i think with your rules file as an example it shouldn't be that hard.

thanks all for your replies!

ok... this is what my rules file looks like:

Code:
    ACCEPT   net   fw   icmp   8
    ACCEPT   fw   net   icmp
    so that can't be the problem. any other suggestions ?

Good Guru
    I don't run Mandriva so I can't really tell you what exactly is going on. BUT ......

Being the user of shorewall myself, I might point you to the right direction.

Shorewall's policy file is used for universal config. The "rules" file is what comes before policy file. Even if your stop your firewall, you need to flush all the iptables rules to accept the connections.

Example rules are here for your reference. This box is my gateway.

File "~/shorewall/policy"
    Code:
    #SOURCE         DEST            POLICY          LOG LEVEL       LIMIT:BURST
    loc             net             ACCEPT
    # If you want open access to the Internet from your Firewall
    # remove the comment from the following line.
    #fw             net             ACCEPT
    net             all             DROP            info
    # THE FOLLOWING POLICY MUST BE LAST
    all             all             REJECT          info
    #LAST LINE -- ADD YOUR ENTRIES ABOVE THIS LINE -- DO NOT REMOVE
    File "~/shorewall/rules"
    Code:
    ACTION         SOURCE          DEST            PROTO   DEST    SOURCE  ORIGINAL#                                                       PORT    PORT(S) DEST
    #
    #       Accept DNS connections from the firewall to the network
    #
    #ACCEPT          fw              net             tcp     53
    #ACCEPT          fw              net             udp     53
    #
    #       Accept SSH connections from the local network for administration
    #
    ACCEPT          loc             fw              tcp     22
    #
    #       Allow Ping To And From Firewall
    #
    ACCEPT          loc             fw              icmp    8
    ACCEPT          net             fw              icmp    8
    ACCEPT          fw              loc             icmp    8
    ACCEPT          fw              net             icmp    8
    #
    #LAST LINE -- ADD YOUR ENTRIES BEFORE THIS ONE -- DO NOT REMOVE
    So what you do is if you want, say, web connections, then replace port 22 with port 80, restart shorewall (which will reflush all your rules) and you should be good to go. Let us know how it went.

HTH ...

- The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!