Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re 4 hdds in linux

re 4 hdds in linux

i need to configure 4x36 gb scsi hdds on red hat linux enterprise version 4.How do i consolidate the partitions into 144 gb ,wherein i can use the consolidated partitions for /,/boot,/var,/home,/swap .

If i decide to go in for software raid ,wherein i can use the 4 hdds ,will it be ok.I have downloaded some articles.I havnt tried before in linux ,hence m skeptical abt it.If suppose one hdd crashes ,how do i recover.

I had done in windows ,its ok there with hp array config utility.

What hardware raids are compatible with enterprise ver 4.

kindly give me the best solution i can opt for.

I always go for a hardware base raid than software based one ... Im using HP proliant ml350 with dual channel controller on it running RHEL4 so far no problem. I have 6x36 gb drives 2 of them are on RAID 1 and the other 4 are on RAID 1+0

I just wonder, is your box doesnt come with raid controller? HP array utiltily can be configured on boot mode, I guess?
    Registered Linux User # 279330

4 hdds in linux

we have not specified for the raid controller.ya if it is specified it will come with the raid config utlity.

its the hp ml 370 ,G4 series .

If i go in for software raid ,will the hot swappable work.i mean if one of the hdds goes down ,will it rebuild.

Reverting to my first query ,if i do not plan to install raid ,willi be able to combine the 4 hdds into 144 gb.

kindly guide me ,as u said u have laready configured raid .

Hi,

I agree with BadDudes; my first choice would be hardware raid. If you can't get it, then follow the Software-Raid How-To.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by s_hcl
    i need to configure 4x36 gb scsi hdds on red hat linux enterprise version 4.How do i consolidate the partitions into 144 gb ,wherein i can use the consolidated partitions for /,/boot,/var,/home,/swap .
    You can setup RHEL with LVM from installation on, and have all of the hard drives be part of the volume. I have done this back on Red Hat 9 to great success.

hello,
    i am guessing an adaptec raid solution would be more than sufficient.
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup....5-2395.tar.gz

those are for rhel3 - but they are fairly recent and there is a great deal of Apdaptec support in the generic kernel.
    telnet mtrek.game-host.org 1701

If you don't want to bother with RAID, Schotty's solution is in order. LVM will allow you to aggregate all the drives into one physical volume and then subdivide into logical volumes, which will be your usual partitions.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...de/ch-lvm.html

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by s_hcl
    If suppose one hdd crashes ,how do i recover.
    I'm interested with insight into this as well.

So if in LVM, one HDD craches, then all data on that disk is gone??

Unless you have RAID4 or above, your data is not replaceable? Space wise, if you do RAID 4 on 3 36 GB drives, the space is 4X36 GB?

How does that work out?

TIA
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

re 4hdds in linux

ya lvm must be a good option for making the hdds into one logical volume,but as compunuts suggested that if one of the drive fails ,then the whole system is gone.

If i opt for h/w raid ,with Hp system ,they provide raid configuration utilty for windows ,but with linux m not sure.has anyone configured it with HP or any other Hw raid.

Even in case of sw raid ,it also depends on the linux os .

Which is easier to recover in case of Raid failure .

ur inputs will be useful

I have no experience with HP, but with Dell array controllers have tools for linux.

http://linux.dell.com/storage.shtml
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.