Thread: Fedora Core 5 Preview

Fedora Core 5 Preview

Here 5 days before the release of the Fedora projects fifth release, I thought I'd bring you all up to speed on what's new and interesting:

Dogs wearing fedoras, Mono got included and brought with it amongst other applications Beagle, the search service. It's fully integrated in Nautilus, the Menu's search field and Deskbar can use it directly as well.

GCC 4.1 brings with it more efficient code and better ram usage, Fedora has once again brought the best security available this time around the addition of having ProPolice stack protecting the entire distro to the hall of already impressive security deployments.

SELinux has gotten upgraded and 3rd party policy modules are now available, this should ease integration of application packaging and SELinux.

GNOME 2.14, first distro to ship the new GNOME which brings many important optimizations and feature enhancements to the Fedora desktop.

Modular X allows for easier maintainership of X and easier upgrade paths for driver updates e.g.

A lot of work has taken place under the hood, the installer has been reviewed for usability and the backend is now driven by yum.

Linux 2.6.15 (actually a git prerelease of 2.5.16 at current date) drives this beast of a distro, overall the system feels smooth and one doesn't feel the overhead of the security enhancements, they quietly do their job behind the scenes protecting you from the bad guys.

OpenOffice 2.0.2 is included in the release as is the latest Firefox release.

Most on the eyecandy side, the much hyped AIGLX technology is available for testing in FC5 with one additional package. This comes as a sidedish to the new shinier Fedora look.

www.lovesunix.net/fc5.jpg

5 days from now I'm not afraid to say that Fedora will put their best release out to date. The user experience is simply amazing and the project has really with this release come into it's own. Fedora Extras the community driving approved packages is growing at a steady rate.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

My blog

Wow! I /really/ want to try it! {Hrmm.. May I will}
    Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind.
    --Albert Einstein
    #350566 Registered Slackware Linux User.

What about wireless support? Has that been improved. I'd really like to use a simple Netgear MA311 without ndiswrappers. Native in FC4 caused the NIC to die after a couple hours of operation.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but that's been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by tuxette
    What about wireless support? Has that been improved. I'd really like to use a simple Netgear MA311 without ndiswrappers. Native in FC4 caused the NIC to die after a couple hours of operation.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but that's been my experience.
    I sadly don't have wifi so I can't say for sure - but people seem to report that wifi runs decently on FC5.

My blog

Good Guru
    Only if it installs on my machine .... I tried FC3, FC4 and Fc5 Test1 already. It can't detect my SATA drives (or the chipset). I will see if it will install this time around.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts
    Only if it installs on my machine .... I tried FC3, FC4 and Fc5 Test1 already. It can't detect my SATA drives (or the chipset). I will see if it will install this time around.
    If it's not in bugzilla it doesn't exist. If you haven't told them it doesn't detect your specific chipset it's very likely that they simply don't know about it (the pains of an infinite hardware combination).

Regardless I suspect that a work around is starting the Fedora installer with "linux acpi=off".

My blog

Cool Go get you some

Go get you some
    http://betraktelse.org/FC5-CDs.torrent

http://www.gwtechcraft.com/Screenshot.png

J-Pilot!! OF!! LVM!!

http://www.gwtechcraft.com/Screenshot-2.png

Suspend works - to suspend. I have'nt been able to come back after plugging in and opening the lid

http://www.gwtechcraft.com/Screenshot-3.png

fun with Vnc

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Off topic but I have a very quick question about VNC.

IF I install a VNC server on Windows of my friend's machine and if I VNC into it, will I be able to see what's going on on ALL of the users of that machine, WinXP Pro? My friend wanted me to teach him a few stuff (but I'm sick and tired of telling him what to do via the phone since he doesn't GET it what I said) but sometimes his wife logged in, leave the box on and went to work. He didn't know his wife was logged in and stuff. Man, some shouldn't even own a computer, I tell ya.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

At first glance, it seems that if run as a service, the first user that logs on grabs display :0 and the next user to log on has to manually run the server. That will be display :1. It also seems that a user has to actually be logged in to attach remotely[edit] You can connect if no one's logged on if run as service[/edit]. It may be possible to have vncserver just run in the user's startup folder instead of as a service, that way the user need not think about starting it manually. <-- I still don't know about that, have to play with it some more.