0 0%
  • MaxDB

0 0%
  • Ingres

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred database

Preferred database

There was an article on Slashdot about why people overlook PostgreSQL as a database. It started me thinking, I wonder what databases other people prefer? So sound off, and let us know why.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

MySQL. I have no real technical reason for why I like it over other databases. It just happens to be what I use, and it works well enough for my needs.
    Registered Linux User #301307 (counter.li.org)
    BOFH Excuse #639:
    NOTICE: alloc: /dev/null: filesystem full

At my first job out of college the senior developer LOVED PostgreSQL, and he really turned me onto it simply because I could easily go to him with virtually every question I had about it. He could spout off for an hour about why he liked Postgres over most other DB's but I really don't hold the same zealous opinions. It works for everything I have used it for, so thats what I use.

Good Guru
    I use both PostgreSQL and MySQL. But I usually go with MySQL when giving advise on others just because it has much more documentation and help you can get (LAMP, for example) plus there is commercial backing from mysql Inc which makes it a bit easier. As we all know, executives only likes someone they can blame to when something horrible goes wrong. So when database got broken, we can all say, MySQL people screwed up.

I personally prefer Postgre because it was GPL before mysql came out and did it. It supports all that we can do with mysql. So if I were given a choice to go with the same set of requirements, I always go with Postgre. The only reason I refrain from recommendation of postgre to everyone is lack of commercial support.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

MySQL. I do some Web app work in BAMP (BSD, Apache, MySQL, PHP).
    TANSTAAFL

most die-hard database admins that used open source dBs preferred postgrel to mysql because of transactions. but now that mysql has implemented that feature Im not sure what their excuse (or valid reason) is....

personally ive been a fan of mysql for a couple of years now. it does what i need it to do. now all i need to do is learn how to use it efficiently with OOo.
    I was standing in the park wondering why Frisbees got bigger as they get closer. Then it hit me.

Good Guru
    I personally prefer PostgreSQL. But I would also say that it would depend on the uses.

Read up on each. There are applications that are better for one or the other. Basically what I am saying is, do your homework.

I personnally heard a lot for MySQL but never PostgreSQL because i am coming from MS world. I played around few days ago with MySQL, it sounds ok. My question is that can MySQL or PostgreSQL handle a large database or perform Stored Procedures, how much memory, CPU speed and disk space?

Good Guru
    If MySQL can handle Yahoo and Craigslist (MySQL site) then it can handle pretty large.

CPU speed, memory and disk space is relative to HOW LARGE your database is. If you want it to do 10K transition per second, you don't want it to run on Celeron server for sure.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

With the recent improvements in MySQL the gap between it and Postgres has narrowed considerably. But AFAIK MySQL still doesn't support views, triggers, sequences, regular expressions and table inheritance (object relational DB). I could be wrong since I haven't used it in quite a while, but once you start using those things, its hard to give them up.