Thread: Linux FTP server Advice Needed

Linux FTP server Advice Needed

Hello,

I am not very familiar with Linux management, I am familiar to installation, did a few many years ago, Corel, Red Hat and recently Suse.

I am interested in implementing an FTP server for our corporation for remote users and customers, the server will be located behind our Cisco Pix firewall. In the future we would also use it in conjunction with Windows SharePoint Services.

I would really appreciate any advice and recommendation on flavor to use, i would like some thing that is available for free download and that can be installed and up and running with minimal difficulty and with low management overhead and this VERY secure. Also any hardware recommendation would be appreciated; I currently have an old Micron Netframe server dual PII with 10K SCSI drives, that is sitting around with lot of disk space.

Any advice would be really appreciated and any links that I can read up on also.

Best Regards,
    zAdmin

Quote Originally Posted by z969307
    Hello,

I am not very familiar with Linux management, I am familiar to installation, did a few many years ago, Corel, Red Hat and recently Suse.

I am interested in implementing an FTP server for our corporation for remote users and customers, the server will be located behind our Cisco Pix firewall. In the future we would also use it in conjunction with Windows SharePoint Services.

I would really appreciate any advice and recommendation on flavor to use, i would like some thing that is available for free download and that can be installed and up and running with minimal difficulty and with low management overhead and this VERY secure. Also any hardware recommendation would be appreciated; I currently have an old Micron Netframe server dual PII with 10K SCSI drives, that is sitting around with lot of disk space.

Any advice would be really appreciated and any links that I can read up on also.

Best Regards,
    zAdmin
    I would recommend Debian. It's well-documented, in these days easy to install and extra packages are very easy to install. It won't install anything you don't need, so no open ports without reason. It doesn't come with a graphical system by default, which is probably good for you because you want a ftp server. I'm almost 100% sure Debian supports your hardware.

Lots of documentation, download links etc. at their homepage; http://www.debian.org.
    Eat your l33t skillz!
    My home page: http://www.inter.nl.net/users/alexeif/

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by z969307
    installed and up and running with minimal difficulty and with low management overhead and this VERY secure. Also any hardware recommendation would be appreciated; I currently have an old Micron Netframe server dual PII with 10K SCSI drives, that is sitting around with lot of disk space.
    I would say if security is that important, go OpenBSD. Install is rather quick, and maintenance is pretty simple.

Good Guru
    Hardware will largely depends on the number of users you want to support. I will second the idea of Debian (or Ubuntu which is based on Debian. OpenBSD might be too much learning curve especially if you are not familiar with *nix environment.

We also have ProFTP PET written on this site.

<shameless plug>
    The PET is very nice and easy to follow
    </shameless plug>

HTH ....
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!