Thread: Knoppix to fix windows? Anyone want to send me a copy?

Exclamation Knoppix to fix windows? Anyone want to send me a copy?

Hey y'all. Long time no see. Man, I don't even recognize the place!

Anyway, down to business:

My P.O.S. Windows XP-based Dell Inspiron 7500 (stifle the laughter, please) has crapped out on me once again. My fourth hard drive is on its last legs. Grinding and buzzing its way to a not-so-slow death. I want to try to recover whatever files I can before it finally bites the dust, but as of this morning Windows won't boot. I think some of the system files are on a bad sector of the disk. I tried running Ubuntu from a live CD to try to access the NTFS file system, but I apparantly can't do that with Ubuntu. I was going to try to intall Fedora Core 3 on a new partition, but I don't know if my hard drive is going to last that long, and I don't really remember how to compile everything in order to access NTFS from Fedora, so in the time it takes me to learn, my hard drive is likely to totally crap out.

SO, I've been lead to believe that a live Knoppix CD might be my saving grace? I've heard I can not only easily view and copy files from the NTFS, but that Knoppix readily supports a USB flash drive? Any truth to this? If so, can anyone send me copy of the live bootable CD? I don't currently have access to a computer with enough bandwith to download it in a reasonable amount of time, and I don't have a burner on this workstation. Please let me know if anyone can help out.

you can e-mail me at jsadams & softhome.net (I replaced the @ with & in this post...no spaces) for my contact info or with some advice.

Thanks,

John

Good Guru
    I would like to help you but as busy as hell that I'm, my box with CD burner is down ATM due to VGA card failure. If you don't get help by this Friday, I expect to buy the new VGA card by then, then I can help you out. Send me PM if you can't get by that time. Okie?
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    Oh BTW, welcome back tot he forum. Aren't you Linux_Looser in LJR before?
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

PM me your name and address, and I will mail you a copy.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.