Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Windows Vista will/won't suck

Why Windows Vista will/won't suck

Pick your poison:

Why Windows Vista Won't Suck

Why Windows Vista will suck

While ExtremeTech lays out a good case for Vista, DesktopLinux makes good counter arguments. I have to admit that about the only thing that made me pause was (albiet rather old now) the improvements MS was going to make to the command prompt.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Quote Originally Posted by jro
    Pick your poison:

Why Windows Vista Won't Suck

Why Windows Vista will suck

While ExtremeTech lays out a good case for Vista, DesktopLinux makes good counter arguments. I have to admit that about the only thing that made me pause was (albiet rather old now) the improvements MS was going to make to the command prompt.
    I suspect that Vista will be a flop much like Me was. Right now, most business deployments of Windows are on XP or 2K. There is no compelling reason for them to change, especially given the hardware cost and the jarringly weird new UI that folks will need to adjust to (or turn off dear God, I can turn this crap off, right? Right?).

Sure, there will be the gear-head, I-gotta-have-everthing-new-right-now types who will rush out and buy it, and there will be new computers that will be bundled with it, but this is a largely going to be a non-starter.

And I hope it costs M$ out the wazoo.
    TANSTAAFL

Good Guru
    Interesting articles.... Thanks jro.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Quote Originally Posted by cga
    I suspect that Vista will be a flop much like Me was. Right now, most business deployments of Windows are on XP or 2K. There is no compelling reason for them to change, especially given the hardware cost and the jarringly weird new UI that folks will need to adjust to (or turn off dear God, I can turn this crap off, right? Right?).

Sure, there will be the gear-head, I-gotta-have-everthing-new-right-now types who will rush out and buy it, and there will be new computers that will be bundled with it, but this is a largely going to be a non-starter.
    I recall a lot of the same things being said of XP when it first came out with its new UI. Now, virtually every large corporation I know of runs XP on most desktops. If Vista can prove that it has superior security and is easier to administer than XP, then IT guys will convince themselves that they need it.

I'm at least interested in trying it. I'm not a _huge_ fan of XP, but I will say that it's one of the first respectable operating systems to come from Microsoft. They said that they would fix the stability issues associated with 9x, and they did...I've had uptimes of months on XP boxes. Now they say they'll fix the security issues associated with XP. Well they held true to their word in the past, so we'll see if it happens again. Granted, this is a much more difficult problem, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I see evidence that they're not living up to their promises.
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr_7BE
    I recall a lot of the same things being said of XP when it first came out with its new UI. Now, virtually every large corporation I know of runs XP on most desktops. If Vista can prove that it has superior security and is easier to administer than XP, then IT guys will convince themselves that they need it.

I'm at least interested in trying it. I'm not a _huge_ fan of XP, but I will say that it's one of the first respectable operating systems to come from Microsoft. They said that they would fix the stability issues associated with 9x, and they did...I've had uptimes of months on XP boxes. Now they say they'll fix the security issues associated with XP. Well they held true to their word in the past, so we'll see if it happens again. Granted, this is a much more difficult problem, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I see evidence that they're not living up to their promises.
    It took time for XP to get deployed and it will take time for this get deployed, especially given the hardware requirements. I will bet that most companies who have XP will stay with it as their primary desktop for some time. Companies who are riding out the 2K cycle will go for Vista over the next five years or so as 2K EOLs since they have to upgrade.
    TANSTAAFL

Good Guru
    Yeah, I've seen companies riding out NT4 when 2K3 was being released. It's not that easy for companies to get to installing thousands of desktop over a few months not to mention hardware requirements.

No IT BS !!

The real upgrade will happen when people buy new computers. I am willing to bet alot, and I mean alot, won't bother to upgrade the software until the hardware needs upgraded. That M$'s in, they just force all the hardware OEMs to include Windows Vista on new machines.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Good Guru
    Along the line of those, check out this why no one wants Linux thread.

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    With regards to the aforementioned Linux thread, the guy hasnt used linux in 8 years.

The reason people arent flocking to it is hardware support. My palm is a bitch to get working the way I want it to. Good luck on my Blackberry. That is a wet dream there. ATI, newer Creative cards, alot of printers, multimedia keyboards, etc don't work correctly without either vodoo, or a delusional personality.

That is why the adoption rate is pathetically low. In order to have a bleeding edge new machine that runs Linux 100% fine, you need to hand build a custom rig up from the ground to have any real happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Schotty
    With regards to the aforementioned Linux thread, the guy hasnt used linux in 8 years.

The reason people arent flocking to it is hardware support. My palm is a bitch to get working the way I want it to. Good luck on my Blackberry. That is a wet dream there. ATI, newer Creative cards, alot of printers, multimedia keyboards, etc don't work correctly without either vodoo, or a delusional personality.

That is why the adoption rate is pathetically low. In order to have a bleeding edge new machine that runs Linux 100% fine, you need to hand build a custom rig up from the ground to have any real happiness.
    That and multimedia support for DVDs, MP3, etc. I think that the adoption rate for Linux is far from "pathetically low", however. Linux desktops are at about the same level as Apple now, which, granted is nothing compared to the Windows install base, but not something to blow off either.
    TANSTAAFL