Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Web Mail
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web Mail

Web Mail

I find that these days I do not use email very much. I have around eight people in my address book and of those, only three that I occasionally send or receive mail. I do not subscribe to any mailing lists (though I do get coupons and stuff from Boarders Bookstore).

I decided awhile back to shift to using Web mail and I have been happily using a free AIM Web mail account. I chose AIM because I use AIM for IM and the service integrates very nicely. Also, I find AIMís interface to be very clean and simple to use. I have my administrative mail on my servers all collected at a single account and that account is aliased to forward to my AIM Web mail. It works well.

I know there are a few others who have taken this route. So speak up and share your thoughts and preferences.
    TANSTAAFL

Associate
    I too only use webmail, but have a variety of accounts. I've never cared for downloading my email to computer. Reason being that I don't like the idea of having duplicate copies of my email all over the place or being limited to one machine. I switched to primarily using Gmail last year, but made a mistake and signed up for multiple accounts. I used to have to do this when providers only offered a small amount of storage and without think did it at Gmail. Other than that mistake I'm very happy with my webmail decision.

Most of my friends use AIM or YIM. I try to avoid AOL products like the plague and never thought about using their webmail, but I do have a Yahoo accounts. I use GAIM to connect to all my IM services but not for IRC.

Quote Originally Posted by zenmatt
    I too only use webmail, but have a variety of accounts. I've never cared for downloading my email to computer. Reason being that I don't like the idea of having duplicate copies of my email all over the place or being limited to one machine. I switched to primarily using Gmail last year, but made a mistake and signed up for multiple accounts. I used to have to do this when providers only offered a small amount of storage and without think did it at Gmail. Other than that mistake I'm very happy with my webmail decision.

Most of my friends use AIM or YIM. I try to avoid AOL products like the plague and never thought about using their webmail, but I do have a Yahoo accounts. I use GAIM to connect to all my IM services but not for IRC.
    I use to have that reaction to AOL myself, but since using the service I have changed my attitude. I did use Yahoo for a bit, but I find that I like AIM better. And BTW, I do use GAIM for IM, just with the AIM account, both on CentOS and Windows. That makes for a nice consistency.
    TANSTAAFL

GAIM is definitely my choice for instant messaging on both Winders and Linux. But as for Webmail, I haven't found anything that will allow me to see anything other the mail for that account. I really like Gmail's interface, but it would be nice if I could check other accounts with it.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

I use gmail exclusively now. Fastmail will let you check other accounts and make mail filters etc. Pretty powerful from what I hear. Non paid version is with adverts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Associate
    Quote Originally Posted by jro
    I really like Gmail's interface, but it would be nice if I could check other accounts with it.
    I have my ISP account forward itself to my Gmail. Not the direction you were thinking, but a way to do it.

Good Guru
    I used to be a fan of Yahoo! but lately they sucks big.

I haven't been able to use Yahoo! webmail for a while and it will time out very frequently. I'm happy with my Gmail. But wanting not to have my personal info on someone's server, I use my own mail server with Web interface. Works for me.

- The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts
    I used to be a fan of Yahoo! but lately they sucks big.

I haven't been able to use Yahoo! webmail for a while and it will time out very frequently. I'm happy with my Gmail. But wanting not to have my personal info on someone's server, I use my own mail server with Web interface. Works for me.
    I used to do that using squirrelmail. But my machine got hacked , so I never rebuilt it for serving mail. There seems to be quite a bit of overhead just running your own solution. I think I can accept the risk of someone aggregating all my personal info into a defamation package that will prevent me from running for congress. I don't keep much in mail that will f**k me.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    There seems to be quite a bit of overhead just running your own solution.
    Yeah, true. I think sometime, it's just too much too have your own solution.

I think I can accept the risk of someone aggregating all my personal info into a defamation package that will prevent me from running for congress. I don't keep much in mail that will f**k me.
    Sometime, it's not that. I've had one hardware seller who sent me confirmation with the FULL credit card info. I know it's rare occation but you never knows who is watching. You could have deleted the mail, yes, but how many times I've never seen the mail and got into junk box? So I will have to be careful too.

My other solution is to have my mails go to my ISP's. I usually just check it there and delete whatever. When there is certain amount of mails, I'd POP it and download it there. I like to keep all my emails for reference purposes. I always get a kick out of it when I re-read some mails from 98-99 showing how I used to be naive and stuff.

- The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts
    I always get a kick out of it when I re-read some mails from 98-99 showing how I used to be naive and stuff.
    Wow. I don't have ANY mail that far back.