Thread: Have you ever ....

Associate

Question Cloning or Mirroring to build new system?

Installed Linux, on a Raid 1 (mirrored) set of disks. Then take one disk out of the mirror and put it in the exact same model dell computer, same hardware etc. I've already set the disks to mirror, then powered down. Now when I power up with the disk with the OS, it should boot okay, then start copying the OS and all settings to the other 1/2 of the mirror.

I have a few dells to load. All have 5 146gb drives. I'm mirroring two, and using Raid 5 on the other 3.

Would this work? I have a feeling I'm missing something simple.

Thanks!
    Last edited by DotHQ; 03-01-2006 at 12:13 PM. Reason: change title of thread

Good Guru
    Since Raid 1 implements having the exact same copy of the other disk, I don't see why it won't work. The only gotcha would be you probably need to modify MBR. But there are other solutions (like disk cloning) which would be a lot easier to work with than having to wait for your mirrored disk to complete everytime especially if you have exact same hardware.

Note ::: Please, next time, have the title to something sensible and related to your subject. I skip it a few days already when I was short on time but decided to check it out since I have more free time on my hands ( wify at work ).
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Associate
    Thanks for the reply. Please, feel free to change the title to make it more descriptive.
    I'm very interested in more info on cloning. I've never tried that. Could you expand on that option please.

Thanks!!!!!

[NOTE: I just tried and was able to change the title myself ]

[Note2: I was able to change the title of the 1st post, but it did not change it for the title which shows up for the entire thread. Help please! ]
    Last edited by DotHQ; 03-01-2006 at 11:38 AM.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DotHQ
    Please, feel free to change the title to make it more descriptive.
    I would if I could but I'm no mod here .

I'm very interested in more info on cloning. I've never tried that. Could you expand on that option please.
    The last time I needed to clone was a while ago. But you may want to check some out.

1. Ghost for Linux
    2. OpenGhost
    3. Partition Image

When I had time to volunteer, a bunch of us volunteered for our local elementary school to create Linux based PC lab (the school was in Milpitas, California). Nothing fancy, all they needed was some web, drawing for Children, some games and stuff. Donated PCs were primed and the 2U server was donated by our local PC shop. I was too new (back then) in Linux to know what they exactly did but they had Debian based server, create an image on it and have clients (they are similarly configured with very minimal variation) boot off of a floppy based ISO and install it from there. I was VERY impressed with Debian and had been a fan of it since then.

The only thing I wish was we have something like Edubuntu so that they will have the most plesent experience with Linux. We had to manually choose and install packages we need for our little users.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Associate
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a cool project overall. Let them see that Linux / Unix is not hard to use at that age, who knows where they'll go with it. Kudo's!!!!!