Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Distributed Computing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distributed Computing?

Distributed Computing?

Hi,

No one posts on these forums. Maybe no one does know what distributed computing means? Well, at least I don't know. Could somebody explain?

Aljosha
    Eat your l33t skillz!
    My home page: http://www.inter.nl.net/users/alexeif/

Good Guru
    Well, basically distributed computing is dividing large processess to multiple computers. Unlike clusters, DCs make use of un-used idel computing powers available from around the whole people like you and me.

A distributed server will assign work units to clients who request it. The client will calculate it at its own pace depending on its free time. Then will return the final result to the server and server take the record and assign another work unit.

For more info, check out here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Do you think a "Team OpenFree" forum could be created in which Distributed Computing could be a part? How does one go about creating a SETI@home team or a folding@home team?

Good Guru
    I was in the process of transferring an LJR team to OpenFree but I forgot the email address that I used to register it. I'm sure it was with linuxjunior.org as the domain but I forgot the actual email address. Is there any way to check? If I have that, then we can just change the name and we won't loose any work that had been done. Otherwise, we will need to rcreate a new team. I will try to remember the team email (I'm guessing for a few days now without any success). PBHARRIS would be the guy to ask about Seti since he looks pretty active there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No IT BS !!

Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts
    I was in the process of transferring an LJR team to OpenFree but I forgot the email address that I used to register it. I'm sure it was with linuxjunior.org as the domain but I forgot the actual email address. Is there any way to check? If I have that, then we can just change the name and we won't loose any work that had been done. Otherwise, we will need to rcreate a new team. I will try to remember the team email (I'm guessing for a few days now without any success). PBHARRIS would be the guy to ask about Seti since he looks pretty active there.
    I wonder if going through the "forgot password" routine on the DC site would send a mail to an account you have access to? Or even just contacting the admin of the site to help may be worth a shot.

Whatever DC we wind up with, my mighty PII 300MHz Debian box is ready.

There is no way to check the linuxjunior email addresses. I asked cloverm for a list of valid email addresses for the site and he told me they were all collecting SPAM.

We could start anew, or ask cloverm. I've sent him an email to refresh his memory.

Stay tuned...

I'd like to see it restarted some way, some how.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    I wonder if going through the "forgot password" routine on the DC site would send a mail to an account you have access to?
    That's what I went through. The process required two piece of info out of three.
    1. Team name - easy
    2. email used to register -
    3. admin log in - same as item 2, I think.

What I did was I registered using linuxjunior.org domain, cloverm setup alias to my real mail addy and we did it that way.

Or even just contacting the admin of the site to help may be worth a shot.
    Yeah, I will try this one as final resort.

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by peter
    There is no way to check the linuxjunior email addresses. I asked cloverm for a list of valid email addresses for the site and he told me they were all collecting SPAM.
    I don't think we physically need access to the email address. If any addy is remotely related to DC thing, you can setup all non-valid emails to be sent to specific address like catch-all, right?

We could start anew
    I'd hate to loose almost 5 years worth of work-unit credits. But if all come to it, then no other choice I guess.

I've sent him an email to refresh his memory.
    Or ask him to look through his mail server setting to see if any DC related mail settings lurking around. Thanks.

I'd like to see it restarted some way, some how.
    Yeah, me too.

No IT BS !!

I found some information, but not much:

Linux Junior Genome Team

Code:
    Team Name   - LinuxJunior_dot_org_Genome
    Team Number - 1198566765
    Linux Junior SETI Team

Code:
    Team Name   - LinuxJunior_dot_org_Seti
    Team Number - 124112
    Linux Junior Folding Team

Code:
    Team Name   - LinuxJunior_dot_org_Folding
    Team Number - 32901
    I have sent this to cloverm to see if it jogs his memory. Do you think we could just start with this?

Good Guru
    LJR Genome is defunct when Genome was merged with folding. So currently only two DC with LJR name, Seti and Folding.

No IT BS !!