Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Piece of an article on operating systems.

Thread: Piece of an article on operating systems.

Piece of an article on operating systems.

Found this to be a great way to put it: "Linux, which is right next door, and which is not a business at all. It's a bunch of RVs, yurts, tepees, and geodesic domes set up in a field and organized by consensus. The people who live there are making tanks. These are not old-fashioned, cast-iron Soviet tanks; these are more like the M1 tanks of the U.S. Army, made of space-age materials and jammed with sophisticated technology from one end to the other. But they are better than Army tanks. They've been modified in such a way that they never, ever break down, are light and maneuverable enough to use on ordinary streets, and use no more fuel than a subcompact car. These tanks are being cranked out, on the spot, at a terrific pace, and a vast number of them are lined up along the edge of the road with keys in the ignition. Anyone who wants can simply climb into one and drive it away for free."

How's that :?:
    Everything I learn gives me another way to say \"OOPS!\" :oops:

Mentor
    w00t + jeager, howabouta link?

Yurts, Bucky-houses, doing things by consensus?
    Tears running off my beard onto my tie-dyed tee shirt.

But that is what got me interested in Linux, FOSS and the community are it, keeping the spriit of Linus hisself.

The punch line is that I have a computer I can use, solid, stable, and tomorrow I'll even turn it on.

I recognized the excerpt right away. It is from In the beginning...was the command line, Neal Stephenson's excellent 160-page introduction to operating systems and the open source movement. I read it a few years ago.
    One of the quickest and most enjoyable reads I ever had.

Nice. Is the whole thing online anywhere?
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Mentor