Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

How to create a boot floppy from command prompt or any other way.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to create a boot floppy from command prompt or any other way.

shahan01

How to create a boot floppy from command prompt or any other way.

Hi. first of all nice to see u guys back . ok my question is that how do i create a boot floppy from command prompt or any other way except while installing Redhat. I installed RH 8.0 recently on my computer but had to format windows and so u know the problem starts >. i did create a boot floppy at installaiton time but yesterday it too refused to boot :... so HELP needed. looking forward to JimH and Alaistar !
    THX

Re:How to create a boot floppy from command prompt or any other way.

looking forward to JimH and Alaistar !
    **sniff sniff** there is no love for Babbing...

man mkbootdisk

that should tell you all you need to know. i am not in RH right now, so i can't look at it myself. hopefully this will suffice for the moment

also you can use dd, i keep a little notepad of these things, it has been pretty handy.

dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=8192k

run that on the CLI once the floppy is mounted and you will have yerself a brandynew bootdisk. also, check the menus and stuff, i thought there was a GUI for makeing one

wheeee
    its good to feel loved
    dd will only work if you have a image file.
    you don't need to mount it because you are writing directly to fd0
    mkbootdisk is probally better, it makes a disk from the kernel that the 'puter boots from
    this should work:
    Code:
    mkbootdisk --device=/dev/fd0 /boot/vmlinuz
    assuming your kernel is vmlinuz. it should be if you haven't made your own

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

*Babbing shoots an ICY glare at Alastair and his 'love' ;D

pft ;D ;D ;D
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

shahan01

Thx guys for ur replies... i will try it out as soon as i get time.

Cool

re:

Quote Originally Posted by shahan01
    Hi. first of all nice to see u guys back . ok my question is that how do i create a boot floppy from command prompt or any other way except while installing Redhat. I installed RH 8.0 recently on my computer but had to format windows and so u know the problem starts >. i did create a boot floppy at installaiton time but yesterday it too refused to boot :... so HELP needed. looking forward to JimH and Alaistar !
    THX
    use mkbootdisk /dev/fd0 this will do all the way . or check with man

Ithink you were about 3 years late on answering that question.... don't you just hate that?