Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Do You Like It?

Quote Originally Posted by coltrane
    impressive is converting 2 windows users to ubuntu in a matter of 2 weeks
    no thanks, i will pat myself on the back
    That my named after an awesome jazz musican friend is plain awesome.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

My blog

Associate

Unhappy w/Ubuntu

I recently ditched Windows, and probably would have went with BLAG to have my soul rest easy, but I'd a ended up with non-gnu stuff on there for family and school, so decided to go with Ubuntu (5.10). I can't say I've been real happy. Firefox is behind in their repositories, so I install Automatix, and have it update Firefox, only to find out that Flash isn't going to work now. I try the different workarounds I'm able to find to fix that to no avail. So, do I revert to Firefox and lose my extensions, or do I do without flash? I think I'll be looking for a new distro soon.

Quote Originally Posted by zenmatt
    I recently ditched Windows, and probably would have went with BLAG to have my soul rest easy, but I'd a ended up with non-gnu stuff on there for family and school, so decided to go with Ubuntu (5.10). I can't say I've been real happy. Firefox is behind in their repositories, so I install Automatix, and have it update Firefox, only to find out that Flash isn't going to work now. I try the different workarounds I'm able to find to fix that to no avail. So, do I revert to Firefox and lose my extensions, or do I do without flash? I think I'll be looking for a new distro soon.
    My opinion is that one should not mess around with trying to update stuff outside of the "Official" distribution. It tends to lead to trouble. As long as the bug and security fixes are being back-ported to the official distro version, there is no need to try and play the “chase the new release game”.

As to Flash, well, it’s evil. But you already have some non-GPL stuff so that’s rather you're call. I live without it quite well and have grown to loath when I have to do something on a Windows box and encounter excess Flash-cruft on Web sites.
    TANSTAAFL

Associate
    Ya, know that I'm non-GNU, that's why I'm using Ubuntu instead of BLAG. Well, only went after Firefox 1.5 so I'd be able to use the extensions as far as Flash goes, my family wouldn't be happy not being able to play their Flash games.

I agree I don't think I should have to mess with stuff outside the "Official" distribution, but with Ubuntu I had to. I'm not saying to “chase the new release game”, but I think every day functunality for a typical user should be expected from a "newbie-friendly" distro. Thus why I'm planning to look for a new distro.

The new Ubuntu will be out fairly shortly (within a matter of weeks, perhaps?). It will have FF 1.5. With ubuntu, you get releases approximately every 6 months so if there's a "must-have" software package that you must have, you'll never be waiting more than 6 months. If the software appears early in the release cycle, it can usually be obtained via the backports project for your particular ubuntu release. Search for "Breezy Backports" to get the backports for your Breezy Badger install. However, I'm not so sure that Firefox is in there.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion might help.
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

Good Guru
    The last time I used 32 bits Ubuntu, Flash work. Since I've been using 64 bits Ubuntu, Flash doesn't work and I don't miss it.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts
    The last time I used 32 bits Ubuntu, Flash work. Since I've been using 64 bits Ubuntu, Flash doesn't work and I don't miss it.

Have you tried this link? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxAMD64FlashJava
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jro
    I wonder if CNR is a re-faced DEB package manager? No matter if it is or isn't, I am just curious that way. I am really into these people that made it big off the internet boom, sold off what they made then invested it into Linux. Mark Shuttleworth, Michael Robertson, they both have pretty deep pockets and they are investing alot of money into the penguin

Sorry guys didn't mean to start a distro flame war. We all use what we feel is best.
    Sort of. But not entirely. Its a supplement to debs. Basically a replacement for the apt part. Its a web gui to a warehouse that has all of the hard work taken care of for you.

You can still install debs, either thru the cli or any other gui.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyr_7BE
    Yes I did. Thanks though.

What it does is just install 32 bits version of firefox which I don't want to do. Not that it matters since I don't see the difference in 32 bits and 64 bits versions of Firefox but just that I want to stay with all 64 bits.

Plus, who needs Flash anyway.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts
    Yes I did. Thanks though.

[snip]

Plus, who needs Flash anyway.
    Amen! Flash is one of the most abused technologies on the Web.
    TANSTAAFL