Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Like It?

Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts
    Well, IMHO, RHEL is different breed. RH really keep shinning that puppy.
    RHEL is different animal from the others and that is why I use CentOS as my desktop OS. It is very well well done, stable and consistant. It works very well and is quite easy to tweak to get just exactly what I want. Plus, once I get setup, I know that I can just keep on using the rig for up to eight years without need to worry about typical Linux short EOL cycles.
    TANSTAAFL

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jro
    Do you use Linspire, Schotty? Do you use the Click-n-Run functionality? I am curious, I have no experience with it beyond reading about it in the news.

I quite enjoy Linspire. It is downright simple and very much so the only linux that is that simple to install and use (remember most of us are geeks and take certain knowledge for granted).

CNR is this:
    A warehouse (subscription based monthly or annually) of software for linux.

How is it used:
    You gain access to the warehouse and can click the green running man icon in the product description and you autmatically start downloading the app. Once complete, CNR auto-installs the app and readies it for use.

Ubuntu is an ancient african word meaning: My computer doesn't deserve the superior security offered by Fedora
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

My blog

Good Guru
    Balony man ...
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

I wonder if CNR is a re-faced DEB package manager? No matter if it is or isn't, I am just curious that way. I am really into these people that made it big off the internet boom, sold off what they made then invested it into Linux. Mark Shuttleworth, Michael Robertson, they both have pretty deep pockets and they are investing alot of money into the penguin

Sorry guys didn't mean to start a distro flame war. We all use what we feel is best.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Good Guru
    Since Linspire is based off of Deb, I'd think it's. Either that or it's the GUI end of Dselect or it's just another implementation of Synaptic. I also think that it's quiet similar to what RHN is although CNR probably is much more easier to work with.

No IT BS !!

Balony man ...
    When I asked for at least some proactive security in the Hoary cycle they said "in the Breezy cycle", when I asked throughout the breezy cycle the answer was "we need other things like a graphical installer.. in Dapper we'll give you proactive security". In Breezy there was no firewall, no proactive security, no SELinux.. oh and no GUI installer.

Dapper will still not have any proactive security, after 1½ years I got tired of asking, I just went with Fedora.. They claim Dapper+1 will have some proactive security, but I'm seeing a pattern here.

And if you don't believe the security is superior.
    http://www.awe.com/mark/blog/securit...111115900.html
    http://people.redhat.com/mjc/

For Fedora Core 3, the default proactive security defeated a whooping 46% of the issues addressed without the need for a patch. That is nearly half of every attacks defeated at the doorstop.. If that is not impressive I fail to understand what is.

My blog

Talking

impressive is converting 2 windows users to ubuntu in a matter of 2 weeks
    no thanks, i will pat myself on the back
    I was standing in the park wondering why Frisbees got bigger as they get closer. Then it hit me.

Good Guru
    Like Coltrane said, Ubuntu just works. It's a lot easier to work with especially for newbies. Simple as that.

For the record, I've been trying to install FC on my AMD 64 3200 box since FC3 and not being able to install it. I have also search far and wide but all they said was, a bad burn. I burned Ubuntu on the same recorder. so ....

Quote Originally Posted by Lovechild
    When I asked for at least some proactive security
    I don't think it's the job of OS vendor to provide you everything including Kitchen Sink. It's the job of the user to make sure their computer is secure. There certainly are problems with providing services like Firewall or Virus on computers; it just create nothing but problems.

Ubuntu shipped with no services running unless you enabled it. If nothing is listening on any ports, there is no need for firewall or "in your words; proactive security". Any software is only as good as the one between the keyboard and the chair.

Being said that, how hard is it to do "sudo apt-get install firestarter"?

No IT BS !!

Like Coltrane said, Ubuntu just works. It's a lot easier to work with especially for newbies. Simple as that.

For the record, I've been trying to install FC on my AMD 64 3200 box since FC3 and not being able to install it. I have also search far and wide but all they said was, a bad burn. I burned Ubuntu on the same recorder. so ....

I don't think it's the job of OS vendor to provide you everything including Kitchen Sink. It's the job of the user to make sure their computer is secure. There certainly are problems with providing services like Firewall or Virus on computers; it just create nothing but problems.

Ubuntu shipped with no services running unless you enabled it. If nothing is listening on any ports, there is no need for firewall or "in your words; proactive security". Any software is only as good as the one between the keyboard and the chair.

Being said that, how hard is it to do "sudo apt-get install firestarter"?
    You completely misunderstand.

Most of the proactive security is compile time stack protection, I am not about to do the Gentoo thing and enabling that. This is definately Ubuntu' job not mine any assertion otherwise makes me laugh.

Security is something you opt OUT of, not in to. They should enabled at least some of it as it is welltested and proven effective.

My blog