Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

How Do You Like It?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Like It?

How Do You Like It?

Ubuntu rockz....I've been testing it and SimplyMepis to see which one or both to recommend to new users to linux. I really like both and still deciding which is the best.

What do you think?
    Microsoft aims to 'borg' Yahoo in $44.6 Billion deal
    "We are Microsoft. Resistance is futile"

Ubuntu. Even converted a classmate. Ubuntu is also the way to go for experienced linux'ers
    Eat your l33t skillz!
    My home page: http://www.inter.nl.net/users/alexeif/

Good Guru
    I like Ubuntu alot, but when it comes down to it, Linspire and Fedora are still a bit more refined (Fedora for the price point, and Linpsire as to functionality).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do you use Linspire, Schotty? Do you use the Click-n-Run functionality? I am curious, I have no experience with it beyond reading about it in the news.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Good Guru
    Yeah, Schotty is a big Linspire advocate.

For me, Ubuntu all the way on Desktop but still sticking to Debian on server.

I never get used to Fedora. The last Red Hat I used was 7.2 eventhough I started out with RH 6.0. APT spoiled me.

- The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts
    Yeah, Schotty is a big Linspire advocate.

For me, Ubuntu all the way on Desktop but still sticking to Debian on server.

I never get used to Fedora. The last Red Hat I used was 7.2 eventhough I started out with RH 6.0. APT spoiled me.
    I love love love RHEL on my prod boxes. Fedora is nice except yum royally pi**es me off and is causing me to consider Deb on my laptop. I have always used Deb on my home server and desktops have bounced between Deb, slack, gentoo and fedora.
    Last edited by Outlaw; 02-25-2006 at 04:30 AM.

Good Guru
    Well, IMHO, RHEL is different breed. RH really keep shinning that puppy.

I used to be Deb all the way guy but I found a new love for my desktop, Ubuntu. I never relly get used to KDE (since I LOVE my firefox and Sylpheed MUA, I ended up installing almost both DEs anyway). If I run Gnome, then I don't need to deal with KDE anymore. I used to use Kmail but I ditched it for not supporting MH format which I really liked. Oh well ....

No IT BS !!

Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts
    Well, IMHO, RHEL is different breed. RH really keep shinning that puppy.

I used to be Deb all the way guy but I found a new love for my desktop, Ubuntu. I never relly get used to KDE (since I LOVE my firefox and Sylpheed MUA, I ended up installing almost both DEs anyway). If I run Gnome, then I don't need to deal with KDE anymore. I used to use Kmail but I ditched it for not supporting MH format which I really liked. Oh well ....
    Ubuntu crossed my mind today. I assume its just a highly polished Deb? Apt, synaptic and all that? If it is nice as fedora without yum, I can be sold.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    I assume its just a highly polished Deb? Apt, synaptic and all that?
    Oh man, you are perfect candidate for Ubuntu.

It's Debian Unstable snap shot plus some enhancements. Ubuntu will take a snap shot of Debian, do their polishing and release it with 6 months circle. If you buy their paid version, they promised to support 3 years (I think, though I'm not sure).

As you are well aware, running bleeding edge of Debian's Unstable can be very scary at times since I've had my share of trashing my systems. Security updates are not supported in Testing. Ubuntu eliminate all of that so I can have peace in mind knowing that I have latest version of software on my system.

One thing I gotta admit though. NOTHING beats Debian Stable on Server. It's rock solid OS with proven record. Who needs latest version of Apache just to run web server? As long as a secure version of Apache, a web server runs just fine. Plus, they don't release server softwares that often anyway.

If it is nice as fedora without yum, I can be sold.
    Try it and see for yourself. You get raw power of apt, synaptic's GUI, deb packaging, Gnome (with the option to install kdesktop), no firewall to configure since they shipped ALL software not listening to any ports (which can be a big plus since all of us former Red Hatters know how RH shipped its OS) and all that. :mrgreen: Ubuntu :mrgreen:

KDE specific Kbuntu and education specific edubuntu is also available.

No IT BS !!

Im sold on Ubuntu when it comes to laptop installs....I went through about 5 distros (Linspire/Suse/Fedora4/Mepis/Ubuntu) on my laptop in about a week, and Ubuntu outperformed them all.....MEPIS actually installed more efficiently oddly, but lacked updated software

On the PC, I prefer Suse.....Gnome sucks on Suse, but KDE is great, and as long as I can fire up Evo, I dont care that much. KDE vs Gnome is a waste of intellectual resources IMHO (more on that later in another post or blog entry).....

On the server, you'll have to pry my Slackware box from my cold dead hands...
    Last edited by coltrane; 02-25-2006 at 09:53 AM.
    I was standing in the park wondering why Frisbees got bigger as they get closer. Then it hit me.