Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Right Linux Directly from you CD-ROM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right Linux Directly from you CD-ROM

Introducing SLAX Linux Live:

Run your system with Linux OS directly from you CD without installing.
    Imagine the ability to boot your favorite Linux distribution whether you are at home, at school, or at work. Imagine walking on the street and carrying the only thing you needed in life - the 8cm compact disk with your Live Linux CD. Woudn't you want to experience such a feeling?

You can download it as an ISO image. After that, burn it with your favorite CD-writing software. For more info visit http://slax.linux-live.org/
    Download page: http://slax.linux-live.org/download.php
    Latest version of SLAX is 4.1.3

arman`

Yes. Very useful.

Here are a couple more live CD distros that might interest some people. There are more to list, but that should get everyone started. Remember, these do not have to be installed, so you can test out Linux without any commitment.

Knoppix
    http://www.knoppix.com/
    Knoppix is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. Knoppix can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.
    Knoppix STD
    http://www.knoppix-std.org/

Knoppix is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. Knoppix can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.
    Damn Small Linux
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Damn Small Linux is a business card size (50MB) Live CD Linux distribution. Despite its minuscule size it strives to have a functional and easy to use desktop. Damn Small Linux has a nearly complete desktop, including XMMS (MP3, and MPEG), FTP client, links-hacked web browser, spreadsheet, email, spellcheck (US English), a word-processor, three editors (Nedit, nVi, Zile [emacs clone]), Xpdf, Worker (file manager), Naim (AIM, ICQ, IRC), VNCviwer, SSH/SCP server and client, DHCP client, PPP, PPPoE, a web server, calculator, Fluxbox window manager, system monitoring apps, USB support, and soon it will have PCMCIA support as well. If you like Damn Small Linux you can install it on your hard drive. Because all the applications are small and light it makes a very good choice for older hardware.
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

More Linux LiveCD!

For more Linux LiveCD to choose from, Go to this link:

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/LiveCD/

You have the freedom to choose.... Good for beginners who want to escape from installing Linux on their drives.

arman`

Associate

It deppends why would you need such a distro.
    Knoppix is cool but it's damn slow.
    As pocket distro I used Trinux a couple of years ago for creating chaos in the university network
    If you are a beginner and you would use Knoppix for 20 years, you would still be a beginner. I strongly suggest to anyone who wants to deal with Linux in the future to get an usual distribution and to play with it. Personally it took me about six months till I've got the answers to most of questions
    that could be found in FAQs - like localization, burning CDs, listening to music, watching video, using Vi and Emacs and so on.
    If you still like the idea of live Linux CDs, try to make your own. You'll see very soon that it's not a trivial task and you have a lot to learn.

I agree with Jdun ... a full blow KDE desktop on a Live CD is just too damn slow. If I'd ever use a Live CD, I'd personally use a business card distro like Damn Small Linux.

It depends, upon you. with SLAX you have the option whether you run KDE or just a Shell. SLAX wont directly boot to KDE unlike other Pocket Linux OS. If you want to run KDE, then you will just type "gui, guisafe, gui (resolution)" at the command line to start the X window. Also with SLAX, you can install it directly in your hard drive if you want SLAX to run smoothly, and also if you don't want to use a CD or Hard drive to run SLAX, you can install it in your USB Flash Disk. SLAX are Slackware-based live cd that's why many hardwares are supported by SLAX. Network configurations are so easy if you use the KDE environment. Also, you can run SLAX as a Server by typing at the boot prompt, SLAX SERVER and it will autoconfigure all the network services such SSH, HTTP, FTP, Auth, Telnet etc...

The penguin in Knoppix looked stupid. When I was in 1rst year college, I used knoppix and Tomsrtbt for rescue purposes. but not all the hardwares are supported by knoppix and tomstbt. That's why I need to change. Eventually, from the LinuxForum.com, a helper suggest me that i've better use SLAX co'z most of the hardwares today are supported by SLAX. I tried it and i was amazed! all the drives, interface cards, peripherals are detected by SLAX. Until now, being a computer and network technician, I always used SLAX for troubleshooting. But in our home, I used Suse Linux 9.1 Professional.

and what about MandrakeMove .. any comments?
    Registered Linux User # 279330

Just visit this site: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/mandrakemove/

arman`

i use Suse Live Evaluation CD,Knoppix 3.3 and 3.6 and Knoppix-STD..
    although its slow its understandable since its running from a CD..

my fave Live CD is Knoppix-std..has very nice nice tools..