Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

networking between windows to linux

Thread: networking between windows to linux

networking between windows to linux

hi! good day to all.. sorry you guys if im always ask and post questions all about this stuff coz i would like to learn more in linux environment and i would like to be you guys have much more know about in linux. someday if i have more knowledge about in linux my goal is to spread the good news in linux and i would like share and teach those who are interested.

my question is: im install linux machine in the network and i configured already the samba but my problem is my linux machine can access and copy files from windows machine but the widows can't do that. do you have some information bout this guys? Pls. help..

my point also is how my linux machine be a workstation not a samba server..

thanks guy i count you by your help

Re: networking between windows to linux

See what rights the Samba daemon has (What user/group nmbd/smbd is). Give it the required rights to read/right.
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

im sorry mr. vern but i didnt understand what you mean.. im so sorry if im asking question like this. i hope you understand.. thanks

The Samba daemon runs as a user/group. Try doing the command:

ps aux

Look for two processes callled smbd/nmbd and see what user/group they run as. Once you know, just give that user/group read/write permissions.

yeah thanks vern.. but i used the vectorlinux soho 5 d you have some idea how to configure this?

It doesn't matter what distro you use, what I said applies to all distros.

thanks for your help vern!

by the way, i was searching the net more info about linux and i read about openLDAP and samba TNG. i got the surface of these two stuffs but i need to know deeper information about these, like their functions and the like.

could you tell me more about these things?

thanks a lot (in advance!)

I really can't begin to tell you anymore. I am a beginner myself.

Check out O'reilly's Samba book online ...

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/

or better yet post your samba config here ... /etc/samba/smb.conf
    Registered Linux User # 279330

okay...here's my problem.....

i got two PCs...one's running Ubuntu, the other's running XP....

now I want my Ubuntu PC to connect to the net.....then share the connection all over the land.....

So here's the thingy.......i got my Ubuntu PC to dial the net using 'sudo pppoeconf'....took me a lot of googling and reading to get that done...

Now....i can't share the connection with my XP PC.......i did a bit of googling again....and i found out that iptables can do just that....

The problem is....i read and i read and i read.....i have no idea how iptables works.....can anyone help me in this department......thanks....