Thread: Project Planning

Project Planning

I am a graduating student of the University of the Phillippnes Open University in Master in Information Sytem. I should use open source OS like Red hat linux to implement Online Project Management System. I am Linux newbies but entusiast. It requires WebServer, Database, FTP and SMTP, of course, configuration of these services might be new or uneasy to me. Don't have any idea in configuring FTP, SMTP and WebServer. But to give you an insight, I learned socket programming using GCC and MySQL in Linux and Linux command in the terminal. I also know how to program PHP and apache server using Microsoft OS.

Can anybody help me in giving resource or knowledge in configuring FTP, SMTP and WebServer in Linux?

Associate

Re: Project Planning

hello run firstly, i have no idea if ftp and smtp are "on" by default on the "stock" install of redhat. but you can turn it on using the scripts located on your /etc/rc.* directory. ftp uses port 21, and smtp uses port 25. both should have configuration files located on /etc. sorry, i cant add more on configuring these two since i am just using the default configuration file.

as for the webserver (apache), php and db (postgre, mysql, etc), configuring it in linux is almost the same as configuring it on windows. if you have any experience installing these on windows, chances are you dont have much trouble doing it on linux. just search for rpm's on these apps if they are not installed by default on your system.

perhaps, the bulk of your work (where you should have actual "coding" done) would be on the pm system itself. and there are already some php scripts/applications for you to start with. dotproject, zentrack, phpcollab, etc are all tried and tested scripts for project management.

hth

Quote Originally Posted by hombre
    hello run firstly, i have no idea if ftp and smtp are "on" by default on the "stock" install of redhat. but you can turn it on using the scripts located on your /etc/rc.* directory. ftp uses port 21, and smtp uses port 25. both should have configuration files located on /etc. sorry, i cant add more on configuring these two since i am just using the default configuration file.

as for the webserver (apache), php and db (postgre, mysql, etc), configuring it in linux is almost the same as configuring it on windows. if you have any experience installing these on windows, chances are you dont have much trouble doing it on linux. just search for rpm's on these apps if they are not installed by default on your system.

perhaps, the bulk of your work (where you should have actual "coding" done) would be on the pm system itself. and there are already some php scripts/applications for you to start with. dotproject, zentrack, phpcollab, etc are all tried and tested scripts for project management.

hth
    Thank you for those ports...

I saw them... open source project management software... thnx

You can choose to have the FTP, SMTP, HTTPD(web server) daemons installed and run when installing the more recent versions of Redhat and Fedora Core. The installation is pretty easy especially using the graphical install and would be very easy if you've ever installed Windows before. Partitioning is the only thing that confuses most people new to Linux.
    To err is human, to moo bovine.