Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

SuSE 9.3 Released to Mirrors

Thread: SuSE 9.3 Released to Mirrors

SuSE 9.3 Released to Mirrors

Thought you'd like to know in case you want to give 'er a try.

Re:SuSE 9.3 Released to Mirrors

I gave it a try. It sucks. Stick with whatever distro you're running now. I'm going back to Mandy 2005 LE, which works fine except it doesn't have KDE 3.4.

SuSE 9.3 can't configure my printer (and I had to log in as root to do anything...couldn't su). And that's just one of the bugs.

For a mainstream commercial distro of Linux, I'm amazed at how bad SuSE 9.3 is.

The more I use YaSt, the more I hate it.

Thanks Coral!

[quote author=pbharris link=board=7;threadid=10546;start=0#msg94976 date=1120746769]
    Thanks Coral!
    [/quote]

Thanks Sea!

:P

[quote author=Coral Sea link=board=7;threadid=10546;start=0#msg94975 date=1120711550]
    I gave it a try. It sucks. Stick with whatever distro you're running now. I'm going back to Mandy 2005 LE. It worked fine except it didn't have KDE 3.4. SuSE 9.3 can't configure my printer (and I had to log in as root to do anything...couldn't su). And that's just one of the bugs.

For a mainstream commercial distro of Linux, I'm amazed at how bad this distro is.

The more I use YaSt, the more I hate it.
    [/quote]

Thank you! I found the same thing when I installed 9.2. Within minutes of installing it I hated it. I'm not a KDE user by nature, but I figured I'd give it a shot and see where it's come since the 3.0 days when I last used it. Not very far, I'm afraid.

General presentation:
    Menus were still cluttered, buttons jammed together, widgets haphazardly strewn about.

Media:
    I tried to play music and amarok crashed when I gave it an MP3. Juk just plain wouldn't load my mp3 collection. Whatever movie player that ships with SuSE 9.3 couldn't handle the first avi I threw at it, and mpeg playback was choppy.

YaST:
    I tried to install some apps, and the very first time I ever tried to use YaST to install software I got into dependency hell. Isn't YaST supposed to solve the dependency hell problem? It it was a simple "I'd like to install this package" (I forget which one it was) and immediately I was greeted by big red and yellow squares of text that were screaming WARNING and ERROR at me.

These were the first three things I noticed, right off the bat. It's enough to turn me off completely.

Web browsing worked. That's the only positive I can give it. Konqueror was able to access the internet, just like every other distro I've tried for the last 6 years except for Mandrake 7.2.

Perhaps if I put a bit of work into it it could become a usable desktop. However, there are countless other distros that provide a perfectly usable desktop out of the box with near zero config. Until Novell gets its act together I won't be touching SuSE.

Couldn't have said it better myself except I am a KDE fan.

A Novell sales rep told me that SuSE 9.3 isn't ready for prime time and should be considered a beta product. He told me that he's heard other complaints about 9.3. That's odd, because Novell's Web site implies that 9.3 is ready to go and they'll charge you money for it (http://www.novell.com/products/linuxprofessional/).